
The official Church press release on LDS.org :
"Beloved Church President, Gordon B. Hinckley, Dies at 97 in Salt Lake City on 27 January, 2008. President Gordon B. Hinckley, who led The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints through twelve years of global expansion, has died at the age of 97. President Hinckley was the 15th president in the 177-year history of the Church and had served as its president since 12 March 1995. The Church president died at his apartment in downtown Salt Lake City at 7:00 p.m. Sunday night from causes incident to age. Members of his family were at his bedside. A successor is not expected to be formally chosen by the Church’s Quorum of the Twelve Apostles until after President Hinckley’s funeral within the next few days. "
For the full story, click here: http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/beloved-church-president-gordon-b-hinckley-dies-at-97
It was sad news last night when we heard about President Hinckley passing away. I sensed at the last general conference that his time was short. He didn't give the usual "opening" and "closing" remarks and his talk was very short. He was a great man and will be missed! Although it's sad news that he is gone, it makes me happy to know that he's finally been reunited with his wife, whom he loved more than anyone. Here's an excerpt from her funeral (almost 4 years ago)....
"When in some future day the hand of death gently touches one or the other of us, there will be tears, yes," said son Clark B. Hinckley, reading a letter his father wrote his mother after nearly 60 years of marriage. "But there will also be a quiet and certain assurance of reunion and eternal companionship."
That's what it's all about, right? Being reunited with our loved ones for eternity. That's what makes this journey we call "life" so worthwile.... Sheri Dew had this to say at Sister Hinckley's funeral and I think it applies to both of them. I don't think she would disagree.....
“When I learned that Sister Hinckley had slipped through the veil, I had a flood of emotions, but through my tears I also felt a sweet jubilation. I couldn’t help but think, she did it! She did what she came here to do, and she did it magnificently, for she left everywhere she went and everyone she met better than she found them."

2 comments:
I love those pictures!! They really are the cutest people. And what a great feeling to know that he is where he belongs, and deserves to belong! - with the Lord,and with his wife!! Great post!
I love the quote from Sis. Hinckley's funeral. This post is so sweet.
Post a Comment