... warm homemade bread with butter... hmmm....hmm!
Yes, that is MY kitchen, and I made that bread myself! And, I DIDN'T use the breadmaker! I may have cheated a bit and used my Kitchenaid mixer, but I even did the second kneading by hand! Here's the recipe I used, found here.
Basic Bread:
2 cups hot water
1 Tablespoon yeast
6 cups flour (I use 3 cups Whole wheat, 3 cups white bread flour)
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup oil
2 cups hot water
1 Tablespoon yeast
6 cups flour (I use 3 cups Whole wheat, 3 cups white bread flour)
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup oil
I add a few other ingredients, but they are optional!
3 tablespoons ground flax seed
use 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 large tablespoon of Honey instead of 1/2 cup sugar.
Prepare as usual and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
I wanted to try the honey for sugar substitute, but am currently out of honey. I also would have added the ground flax seed, but didn't have any of that on hand, either. Definately next time! I did however, substitute ground "white wheat flour" for the whole wheat flour. It's wheat flour that looks and tastes more like white flour. Maybe someday I'll work up to using the purest form of wheat... but not yet!
The added bonus to my accomplishment - my husband and daughter LOVED it! Eric grew up on homemade bread and was thrilled when he came home to find out I'd made some. Some domestic devil must have possessed my soul yesterday, because I've never been a woman to spend more than the necessary hours in the kitchen. In reality, I haven't made homemade bread since our starving student days.... back then I experimented with all kinds of things I could make from scratch... wheat thins, bagels, etc. Now, I'm definately more a woman of convienence and loath spending hours in my kitchen if I don't have to. But this was really FUN, so maybe I'll do it again... but definately no promises!!!
7 comments:
Oh, man, that looks so good! I have been begging Peter to get me a Bosch or Kitchen Aid so I can make bread too!
cool on the bread! Paul makes our bread and it's soooo good!
on your LOST show? have you seen WE ARE MARSHALL? has that main actor in it. Was really good.
Happy bday to the birthday girl!
and I am sorry you guys are sick. We made it through FEb.flu fairly decent... just little stomach stuff, a burst ear drum and small colds.... much better than last year when all 5 of us got the stomach bug twice and then colds for a week. Made a long 6 weeks.
I would give up all of the chocolate in my house for some homemade bread...mmmm...maybe I'll make some tomorrow - my mom has a great recipe.
Hey there! I make bread all the time. Once you make it a few times it gets easier and easier! Claire loves to eat the dough! I have to stop her so she doesn't explode! I have been adding more and more wheat flour (I grind 1 #10 can at a time). Enjoy your bread. I think I will make some tomorrow!
I don't think I can visit your blog for a while...the pictures of the bread or KILLING me!
It is the best. Once I have a Bosch one of these Christmas' I am going to make it weekly so that it's all we eat. But, until then I am buying it through Bountiful Baskets, the coolest thing ever, go to bountifulbaskets.org!
Congrats! You domestic diva, you!Do you remember the days when I made homemade bread when you were younger? I could do white bread no problem, but wheat bread always elluded me. Do you want to do some when you come?
Love ya mom
Post a Comment