
I have the pickiest kids on earth... this is no exaggeration. They come from picky parents, so it's really no surprise. I think of all the people in our family, I am the least picky. Lest you think I'm crazy, here are some things that each person in my family dislikes... I'll start with myself, just to be fair!
Christy hates: tomatoes, mushrooms, nuts, all seafood
Eric hates: all fruit (except oranges), broccoli, cauliflower, all seafood
Taylor hates: bread (this includes bagels, rolls, bread, french toast, hamburger and hot dog buns), steak, beans, all fruit, all veggies (except raw carrots and corn), cheese, lunch meat, potatoes (except french fries), burgers, eggs
Megan hates: all pasta, cheese, pork, potatoes (including french fries), most veggies (except corn and raw carrots), eggs
Ian hates: most meat (excepting chicken nuggets), most veggies (except corn and raw carrots), potatoes, eggs... Ian likes to pretend he hates everything (even when he doesn't)...
Brayden is my least picky child... but he does so far hate bread. That's one of the few things I've never been able to get him to eat. He does like most meat, eggs, and fruit.
Needless to say, I don't enjoy cooking that much. I think the very reason is that there is always at least one person (usually 2 or 3) who doesn't like the food. Always... it's very discouraging to hear moaning and whining every night at dinner time. Tacos and pizza are the two meals that everyone likes and no one complains about, so we eat those a lot!
In my 13 years of being a parent, never has a child in our household eaten green salad. (Three out of four won't even eat ranch dressing... weird, huh?) Then on Monday night, Megan confesses that she thinks lettuce is pretty good (we were having tacos). After questioning her about it, she told us she ate some salad at an activity days event and kinda liked it. (I think it was that strawberry spinach salad with the sweet dressing.) So she then proceeded to load up her "meat only" taco with meat and lettuce. Nothing else, but still, she actually liked it and went back for more! It took everything I had NOT to fall over in shock... maybe there is a light at the end of the "picky eater" tunnel? And Cheri Harrison (Meg's AD leader who served her salad) is a SAINT in my category... maybe I need to send all my kids over for dinner at her house more often!
11 comments:
I think you just need to be a little meaner ha ha but it might be too late for the older ones...
Go Megan! Maybe some day she'll join my rabbit habit club!
Love Mom
Me and my brothers and sister were EXTREMELY picky as kids. But, there is hope. 3 out of 4 of us have pretty much outgrown it! There are still things we don't like, but it's not nearly as extreme as when we were kids... don't give up yet!
And hurrah for Megan :)
Hi Christy, I to am a "short order cook" It drives me crazy. Out of my 3 Maddy is the best, she just sits quietly and eats pretty much anything! My one meal everyone eats is spagettie, so it is made once a week!
-kayla-
Glad I cooked taco-related items for when you came over, including corn (apparently a winner vegetable for most of the Wanlass family!). I already know much of this, and I know the kids can down a lot of milk and chocolate chip cookies :)
That's exactly why I hate to cook. No matter what I am always making a cheese crisp for whoever won't eat dinner.
I swear this could be my blog, minus the cool colors LOL.... I feel the SAME way, I just lost luster for cooking b/c it's always complaints. I hate it... so it just looses something doesn't it?
Funny that one of my tips in my organizational stuff I share with moms is this food card system, its really cool, take index cards and have them come up with afternoon snacks that they will eat, etc... right? then they choose a card everyday, the idea is to take the stress out of coming up with something, but also help the budget and pantry b/c you know what to buy and it puts balance into the rations... DOES NOT work in my own home... so I gave up.. now they come home from school and say " whats for snack?" and I said " I don't know?"
I am giving it another month ( because they keep eating all the good stuff and realizing how fast it runs out LOL) and then we'll try it again. LOL
anyway... long post about I FEEL YOUR PAIN
and tag!
And I thought that Geoff was picky...but good grief.
Man, I can't imagine that. At least you can feed them all corn and raw carrots. But seriously- Eric hates all fruit but oranges? Is he crazy???
I would hate cooking if I were you too! I can't imagine what you go through or how you manage to feed them all at all! What a challenge. I love menu planning and creating fun and creative meals, but my mind is reeling over your situation. Here's my question -- how do you make tacos without meat, cheese or veggies? How do you make pizza without bread for those who don't like bread? Or is pizza crust not considered bread?
Oh, and YEAH for Megan for branching out!
Janine
Post a Comment