Tuesday, May 13, 2008

It's a Small World


I was so excited for my weekend away with the "girls"... this included my mom, and my cousin and her mom (who is my mom's sister)... growing up, Heidi (my only girl cousin close to my age) was the closest thing I had to a sister. I think I fit that role for her too... we both have one brother, but no sisters. She is one of the few people that I can go six months with no contact with, then pick up the phone and chat like we just saw each other last week. This trip away was her brilliant idea as a Christmas gift to our moms... of course they loved the idea and it was just like old times this weekend!

Day one was spent converging on LA... we flew in and out of LAX and I've decided that I just don't like that airport... I hope I don't have to use it again for a very long time! :)

Last week when I was getting a haircut, I told my stylist about this trip... she thought we were nuts... 4 ladies in LA with no hubbies or kids and we chose to go to Disneyland... she would have picked a spa instead... but that says a lot about our family. We grew up going to Disneyland together and we all still LOVE it there!

That morning, my mom got a call from my nephew... I had no idea this was happening, but my brother's ex-wife, husband and son were in Disneyland too... it was great to run into them for a few minutes and get a hug from Ben.
We went on all the favorite rides... Space Mountain (3 times)... Indiana Jones... Thunder Mountain (at least 2 times)... Matterhorn... it was fun! There were a couple times I did wish I had my kids along. I've decided that Disneyland is more fun with kids, but I'm so ready to be done with stollers and diapers and sippy cups... that's what makes it so stressful! Hopefully next time we go, we'll be beyond all that business!

The cousins hanging out in the only teacup we were willing to step into!

Waiting for our car at the Autopia with my mom...


Karen and Heidi doing one last shopping run on Main Street...

When we'd done all the rides we wanted to, we headed out to do some shopping in the dowtown Disney district... I never get to enjoy this place either with kids... they have no patience for it! I found my kids some fun things at the Disney Store and then bought Eric an "Espana" soccer shirt at a cart vendor... (served his Mission in Madrid, Spain)... it's bright red, but he loves it. That was my "jewel" find because he hates all memorabilia "disney" so buying him anything at the Disney store was completely out!

We then headed to the car and drove to San Diego... which leads me to part two of our adventure... stay tuned...

3 comments:

Connie said...

I think it would be great to go without kids. We are going soon and taking the two oldest. I am dreading it in a way, but I just have to try not to have too many expectations, you know? It would be so nice without strollers and sippys...*sigh* someday...

Kayla, Nic, Paige, Ellie and Maddy said...

It looks like you all had a great time! Nic & I are planning a trip alone for the first weekend in June, and it will be strange with out the girls..also a little relaxing!! Then we will go back again for our yearly family trip in November, we love it there!

Melissa said...

I can see where a trip to Disneyland would be fun with out kids... but I have to agree... with kids would be more fun! It's exciting for me to watch their wonder and awe over everything :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails