Friday, September 19, 2008

Piracy is Our Only Option...


I've been sickened... and sickened... and sickened some more each day as I turn on Fox News in my car and hear about Bank Failures, Insurance Bailouts and Mortgage Takeovers. How did this happen and what is the solution?


(Picture me up on my soap box right now....)


My personal belief is that in our "credit crazed" society, way too many people got mortgage loans they had no business even applying for... then underqualified Mortgage Brokers got them said loans, even though everyone involved knew it was a risky deal... then, home prices fall (as they always do every 10 years or so....) and then all H*LL breaks loose! Can I just say that as a "Responsible" Tax Payer and someone who has never missed a Mortgage Payment, this just INFURIATES ME!!!!!


So, a stray thought came to me earlier today... I just finished reading The Count of Monte Cristo and I'm thinking that maybe the only way to protect my hard earned salary, 401K and other assests is to convert it all to Gold Coins and bury it in a Secret Location. (Of course, the time to convert to Gold was last week, as the price of Gold is shooting through the roof this week... wonder why???) The only potential problem I forsee with this plan is that I have a really bad habit of hiding things away for a rainy day and then forgetting where said "hiding place" is.... hmmmm.....
(A $5 Blockbuster gift card to the commenter who can tell me what movie I quoted in the title and which character said it....)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep thinking of kristy mcnichol in a modern version of pirates of penzance. Was the quote hers?
The whole national debt scares the h#ll out of me.
I hope someone figures it out. (I don't think it will be McCain!)ha ha. :)

Melissa said...

Gah! I can hear the quote in my head!!! I'm gonna have to think about it for awhile... maybe I'll ask hubby... is that cheating??

I hear ya on the banks and such. I have my fair share of debt, but, you know, I'm trying to PAY IT OFF! Not create more... how weird am I??

Melissa said...

I know it now... but I may have cheated a bit :) It was going to drive me crazy! I googled it and then said, "OH YEAH!! I remember now!" :D So, I'll wait and let someone else who HASN'T CHEATED get the prize!

Methodical Wormer said...

BW was actually thinking the same thing. Maybe we could bury our treasure chests together and between the 4 of us we might remember where we put it.

We actually just started looking for a new car and people were looking at us like we were crazy when we told them our car was paid off. It really is such common place to get what you want now as long as you can afford to pay the minimum payment. I say, no thanks.

Anonymous said...

I'm right behind you on this!

and I am also trying to figure out a way to remove moral issues from the political ballots....

in MY world....

Connie said...

I am so bugged by this as well. I think your idea is spot on too. When we were buying our house, lenders were making it possible for anyone and everyone to buy with their fancy all-interest variable loans, even if you had no savings whatsoever. I say it's their own fault and it sickens me that us taxpayers are going to pay the consequences for their bad decisions! No one wants to be responsible for their own actions- banks and home buyers! Okay, deep breaths...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails