Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Preparation


In less than 24 hours, we'll be in the desert of Southwest Arizona pushing/pulling a handcart with a dozen teenagers. The preparation for this trip has been unbelievable. From tracking down dutch ovens, to buying second hand pioneer style clothes, to researching stories from our pioneer ancestors who walked with wagons or handcarts over 1300 miles in the mid 1800's.


I've barely had time to get on the computer. I've barely had time to do any of my RS responsibilities. I've barely had time to eat and sleep. I'm tired, and we haven't even left yet! I've been to four different Walmarts in the last 3 days and back to my local one 3 more times. I've been to every store imaginable in the valley looking for a stockpot that meets our criteria.
Eric made a dutch oven dessert last night in the backyard... click here for recipes... we did "Good Bars". They were indeed, good. ;-)


My younger three are packing their suitcases for their "extra long" playdate (3 days) with our dear friends. Overnighters are always hard for my boys. They want to sleep over, but have anxiety about being away from Eric and I. Usually Taylor is Ian's "rock" and Taylor won't be there this time. Hope it goes smoothly.... last night there was a lot of tears, but today they are doing okay.


At 5:30 a.m. we'll have 2 dozen people converging on our culdesac, wearing their pioneer finest, and expecting donuts from our recently opened Krispy Kreme. I hope they don't wake up my neighbors!


Megan has her first official babysitting job on Saturday. I'm excited for her but a bit nervous too. It's one thing for her to watch my kids, it's another thing to send her out to someone else's home to be responsible for someone else's babies... I just need to trust her... I know she can handle it!

I'll post again when I return and probably not until I've slept for a day or two... I don't anticipate getting a lot of quality sleep on this trip... mostly due to my fears about sleeping on the ground with the "creepy crawlies"... please pray for us not to have any encounters with anything frightening or dangerous!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys will have a great time with lots of good memories. The younger 3 kids can call us anytime.
Wish we were closer to help.
Call us as soon as you are home.

Melissa said...

I did a handcart trek when I was a teenager. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life!! Good luck :)

Anonymous said...

That will be a post worth waiting for! Can't wait to hear all about it. Janine

CoffeeGrind said...

Trek was something we never did as kids, however, I'm sure the experience for the kids, and you, will be worth more than any amount of sleep deprivation you are suffering through. Call it a character building experience.

Kayla, Nic, Paige, Ellie and Maddy said...

Sonds like you guys will have a great time...I can't wait to read all about it!

The Zemp Family said...

Have fun kill and pluck chicken for me, save the feathers to make a pillow! HAHA:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails