Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Back to School Photos

I was so frazzled last year that I never got one single "first day of school".  Not one... and later that week, I could have taken them, but never did... and the longer it got from the first day of school the more I regret not getting any photos of them last year.  So I got extras this year to make up for it.


Taylor had a great first day yesterday.  He liked all his teachers, including the new Seminary teacher, who we have heard nothing about.  His biggest disappointment?  Getting "C" lunch.  We'll have to pack extra snacks for him to eat after he gets done with Swim Academy.


Megan was also nervous about her first day.  We didn't know any of her core teachers going in, but come to find out one of her best friends from the ward next door is in every single class with her but one.  Seriously... what are the odds of that?

Ian had a great day too, despite the fact that his best friend is in another class.  They have been together for 3rd and 4th grade now, and I didn't realize what a comfort that was to my special little homebody.  Last night well after the other kids were asleep, I went into his room to put something away only to find him sobbing in his bed.  Apparently, he didn't make any new friends on the first day, and he doesn't know anyone in his class very well, and he wanted to stay home and be home schooled.  No kidding.  As if staying home with me would solve his problem of making friends.  This kid is the sweetest boy you ever met, but he sure has a hard time with change.   I'm hoping today goes better and he finds a new friend in his class to pal around with.


Brayden was so excited to go to school yesterday.  He did really well, and I didn't get any phone calls after the lunch hour, so he must have survived the cafeteria.  He has a severe dislike of bread and crackers and can smell it from a mile away.  Whenever we sit next to him with those things, he wigs out.  I've been worried sick all summer that he would have a screaming fit on the first day of school when all the kids around him had sandwiches, but he says he was good.  My mother-in-law (bless her soul) came up with the idea for him to "use the Force" to keep the bad smells away from him.  Most of the time it works.  Notice we got him a special Jedi t-shirt to wear on the first day of school to help him remember. 


I felt so bad for him this morning though... I don't think he understood that he's going to school every single morning.  It was hard to convince him that he had to put the Lego's away and get dressed and ready this morning.  If it wasn't for the promise that he would get to ride the school bus to school this morning, I would have had a real battle on my hands. 



Just walking to the bus stop gets you hot and sweaty right now... can't wait for things to cool down a little bit.  He was so excited to get on the bus today... thank goodness all the buses are now equipped with a/c.


Now I just need to prepare myself for the meltdowns tonight.  They are inevitable for the next two weeks while the kids get used to their homework load, their new teachers and the routine.  Maybe I should make a trip to Dollar Tree to arm myself with some good old' fashioned bribery.  Works like a charm!

6 comments:

Danielle said...

Use the force! That is brilliant!

Lexie & Sharrid said...

Hey! Where is Taylor's picture? Dissapointed! I wanted to see his sign because I don't know what grade he's in now. ha ha

Christy said...

Lexie, thanks for the head's up... I must have deleted it on accident when I was editing things. It's back!

Anonymous said...

Brings back a lot of memories of when you guys were getting ready to start a new school year. Good Luck!

Hilary Jimenez said...

Good job on getting the pictures taken and in. I took them, but didn't post them yet... I can relate to the kindergartener and your 5th grader new friend issues. We've had a few similar meltdowns. I love the use the force idea. Very clever. Now what are you doing with all your extra time? (Not that I can't think of a few hundred things you already do to fill the days...)
- Hilary

Sheri said...

Poor Ian! I think the first week of school is just as tramatic for the parents as it is for the kids.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails