The last time Eric and I came to Sedona it was winter time. We didn't have a lot of time to spend, but we quickly found out that it wasn't a super kid friendly town. Think of it like the Santa Cruz of Arizona (without the ocean). Lots of hippies and tree huggers. (Not that those are bad things to be... but you don't find a lot of either in the desert, generally speaking.)
I was thrilled beyond words when I was able to make a camping reservation on the banks of the infamous Oak Creek Canyon. As luck would have it, we got the best spot in the campground. Literally. There are only 19 sites, and some of them are terrible. But ours was perfect! Just 100 feet from our tent was the creek, with these spectacular views.
On top of that, we had a Dairy Queen a mile down the road, and Slide Rock State Park a mile up the road. How can you beat that? If you are super nice, I might even share the info for the campground so you can visit this little piece of paradise too. 
If we hadn't had such limited time, and if we hadn't just spent hours in the creek a mile upstream at Slide Rock, my kids would have been playing in the water all afternoon. The creek was deserted. They did have fun watching the tiny fish (or tadpoles, not sure which) nibble on their feet in the water. It was hard to leave this beautiful place and go home. I already want to plan a trip back up there next summer.
On our way home, we had to stop by this place. Eric wanted to replenish his hot sauce supply (and this store has an amazing collection to choose from) and I wanted to take pictures of all the cool signs in the parking lot. 
Next summer, a trip to Oak Creek Canyon will be on the top of the priority list. Anyone want to join us?
3 comments:
OH! I want to go! Sedona is one of the places on my list to see. Taos NM too. Your pictures make Sedona move up a few notches on my list! ~ Janine
I haven't been there since I was a kid. I just remember it being really crowded. Was it crowded when you were there?
We'll go! We'll go! Can you believe we've lived here for 7 years and never been to Sedona?!
Post a Comment