Every year our High School sponsors a "Jr High Night" with the Marching Band. 6-8th graders are invited to preform a short song with the marching band during half time of one of our football games. Megan and Taylor have both done this and they both have had a great time. This year, the 8th graders were invited to sit with the Band in the bleachers and play along the entire evening.
It's an excellent way for kids coming into high school to get a taste of Marching Band, and it works wonders in the recruiting of Freshman each summer. Taylor wanted to do Marching Band really bad, but eventually decided against it because he wouldn't be able to do fall sports and do marching band. They overlap too much.
It was so hot that night... 110 that day and humid. She had a great time, but was exhausted by the time the night was over. And she wasn't even wearing one of those polyester band uniforms. I don't know how those kids do it each week. I guess if Megan decides to go for it next year, we'll soon find out!
2 comments:
Awesome! Band was HUGE in my HS growing up. Any kind of band. If you were in Varsity, you did concert, marching, and Pep I guess because our school was smaller, but we were awesome and really well known. In my school if you weren't in band you were definitely the minority and pretty much borderline loser. GO MEGAN!
Very cool event! I spent one day in marching band in HS and decided I could NOT do that hat! Actually I ended up not being able to do band at all in high school do to conflicts with college prep classes I wanted to take. It turned out better for the auditory health of the general environment anyway! ;) Hey, I really like your new banner! What a beautiful photo (yours I'm sure!)
Post a Comment