This Christmas was extra exciting for us. This was our first Christmas in Arizona with house guests! My parents and their dog, Charlie joined us this year, which was wonderful! We had to really squish the stockings together to fit them all on the banister. (December is the one month of the year, I really MISS having a fireplace!)
We have started a tradition that works well to keep our kids grounded and calm on Christmas morning. Instead of reading Luke 2 before we go to bed on Christmas Eve, we read Luke 2 on Christmas morning before we open gifts. It really helps the kids to remember why we give gifts as part of our Christmas celebration.
The next tradition we have started since moving here, is doing a home-made gift exchange. We each draw and a name, and then make that person a home-made gift. We can’t spend more than $10 in materials. This year, since my parents would be here, we included them in the draw. I have to say, over the years, other gifts come and go, but we all treasure and keep our home-made gifts. It makes me really happy that we do this for each other. I hope it’s something my kids will keep going when they have their own families!
Taylor was my partner, and Eric helped him make me a giant lap desk to use when I’m on the couch and want to use my laptop. My mom made Eric a wood caddy, that he can use for tv remotes or garage gadgets.
I helped Ian make Megan a personalized shirt. Her gift is the only one I didn’t get a good picture of, but she loves it. It says her name on it and it has little snowflakes around her name. Ian also made her a cute popsicle stick door decoration. Eric made Taylor this wood decoration for his room… looks very similar to our high school logo. (He hand-drew the husky!)
I took a plain black apron and cut iron-on vinyl letter to make my dad a personalized version that says, “I’m not aging, I’m marinating!” It turned out really cute, if I do say so myself! My dad made Brayden a wood car, which he loves. (My dad has not historically been into woodworking, but recently has discovered a new interest in taking it up. I can’t see what he comes up with next!)
Megan crocheted this purple scarf for my mom, and even added her initials to one end and a heart to the other. Someday, I really need to try again, and learn how to crochet. And the color is so perfect for my mom… she loves all things purple! I helped Brayden make another personalized t-shirt for Ian. He loves his new shirt… since football is his new passion. He can’t get enough of playing flag football and asks me almost every day when he will be able to try tackle. I keep changing the subject.
This is probably my favorite Christmas photo… Ian hugging Brayden after opening his gift from his brother reminds me of what Christmas is all about. Watching my children love, serve and give meaningful gifts to each other makes my momma-heart proud!
4 comments:
What an awesome tradition!!! I may attempt that next year. Thanks for the inspiration. And the picture of the boys is so perfection - what a way to share the Christmas spirit.
My family does A LOT of home made gifts every year. They are the best hands down.
Love your new photo on the blog banner! Beautiful! We hang our stockings with red ribbon on the banister too. There are a few weeks in the winter that I wish we had a fireplace. I like your tradition of giving homemade gifts. It helps that you have talented people in your family!
That is a great tradition! You guys came up with some really cool stuff...and Im loving the scarf. I can knit, but have never learned to crochet :(
My girls buy eachother gifts and we do that exchange christmas eve. They love it, they love the shopping and they always pick out just the right thing. I too have some great pictures of all the hugs at the end. :)
Post a Comment