Thursday, July 14, 2011

Books I’ve Read

May and June:

I was consumed with Girls Camp preparations during the month of May, so I didn’t get much reading done.  And what I did start reading, I didn’t finish until Girls Camp was over.  Except this book:

3228917

  Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

This was our book club pick for May.  With a week left to go before book club I figured I better just read it and get it over with.  This typically isn’t my type of book.   Within the first chapter I was hooked. 

It’s basically the science and reasons behind how certain people become extraordinary Outliers in our society.  People like Bill Gates, The Beatles, or any of the hundreds of Professional Canadian Hockey Players.   As he explains, extreme success is more than just being smart or talented.  It’s a combination of talent or IQ, timing, culture and luck.  For example, Bill Gates likely only because the computer tycoon that he is because he happened to be a smart kid raised in WA with access to a computer lab as a teen.  He had access to  computer labs that didn’t exist in most places of the world and he learned a set of skills that he couldn’t have acquired anywhere else.  He was born at just the right time to take advantage of new technology in the 60’s that made computer code writing easier and he spent about 10,000 hours as a teen/college student honing his craft.  This book was fascinating and completely enjoyable to read.  I highly recommend it!

 

5217282

Fablehaven:  Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull

I’ve been slowly working my way through the Fablehaven books.  I have to say, I’m not as big of a fan as most people are.  They are good, but I don’t put them in the “great” category.  I think I would like them better if I hadn’t listened to these on audio.  At first I liked the reader, but the farther we get into it, the more I get frustrated with the way he does certain voices.  Some voices like Tanu and Vanessa are done well, but other’s are terrible.   But, even the narrator isn’t the only thing that bugs me.  During the first book, I felt like I was sitting through a Sunday School lesson.  I guess for kids, stuff like choices and consequences have to be spelled out, but I felt like it was too much.  But, I have to say the 4th book would rank near the top in my favorites.  I liked this one more than the rest, and I’m only one book away from being done.  Throughout the whole book, I kept thinking, there has to be a spy… there has to be a spy… and there was… but it was NOT who I expected.  I couldn’t have been more shocked by it!  I do like them enough to finish the series and find out how it ends, but I usually need a break between each audio book so I don’t go crazy from listening to the narrator.

 

179064

  The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

This was our book club pick for June.  I’ve read it before and own a copy of the paperback, so I took it to girls camp with me thinking that in my free time I could skim it and refresh my memory.  Except that I had no free time at camp, so I read it after I got home.  Which I really didn’t have time to do, but oh well.  I have to say that this isn’t my most favorite Shannon Hale book.  I like it, and her writing is so awesome, but I just can’t get excited about the special gifts Ani has.  I don’t know why it bugs me, but it does.  I do love the general plot, the romance between Ani and Geric, and all of Ani’s Forest-Born friends.  Most people love this book by Shannon Hale, and I like it, but I don’t love it.   It is the first in a series of four, so eventually I will get around to reading the rest.  I guess I better do it before I forget too much, though, huh?

 

6752378

  City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

Megan and I have been waiting a long time to read this book.  It did not disappoint.  The story of Clary, Jace, Simon and company continues in this story where the plot continues to get even more complex and intriguing.   This is the fourth book in a six book series and it’s going to be tough waiting for the next two books to come out.  My only complaint is that C.C. really pushed the boundaries on intimacy between teens.  I hope that it doesn’t get worse in the next books, but I’m not hopeful that these fictional teens will suddenly develop that kind of responsibility.  We’ll have to see.   So far, I highly recommend this series, though. 

1 comment:

Lexie & Sharrid said...

Yay! I love your book review posts so much! You could have a whole seperate blog, but yeah NO seriously, one blog is enough right? Keep it up though, I live for the book update posts! ha ha

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails