Sunday, September 4, 2011

Comfort Zone

I was spotlighted today in Primary… you know the drill where they have everyone stand up and then when they say something that doesn’t describe you, you sit down?  Ultimately, when they are done reading all the clues there will be just one person left standing.  They started with “This person likes to go the movies and eat buttery popcorn with her family….”   I instantly knew it was me.  I remember writing that on my questionnaire.  FYI, I also like eating Cheese Enchiladas and Brownies.  My favorite primary song is Scripture Power, my favorite book of scripture is Alma (all sixty-something chapters), but oddly enough, my favorite Book of Mormon prophet is Abinadi.  When I “grow up”, I want to be a Photographer…  and I enjoy learning about Photoshop.   I was actually kind of embarrassed when that said that last part aloud.  I knew they would… because I did write it down, but when I heard it being said out loud today by someone else, it felt weird and overly ambitious. 

I was first exposed to photography my senior year in High School when I joined the Yearbook staff.  My neighbor was also on staff and she taught me a few things about developing film and making prints in the dark room.  I was fascinated by it.   Since then, I’ve dabbled off and on in the world of Photography, but never really jumped in with two feet.  After all, I got married during my sophomore year of college and had a baby 2 years later.  I was working full time and dreaming of the day I’d become a full-time stay-at-home-mom.  Being a mom has taken precedence over all my career ambitions, so it’s just been a hobby here and there when I had the time for it. 

Now that my youngest is in 1st grade, I feel like it’s time for me to have some kind of grown up life.  Part of me craves the opportunity to take some classes and really focus on my passion.  Part of me is terrified.  I’ve gotten so comfortable being a hobbyist, and a stay-at-home-mom that I am nervous about putting myself out there.  I’m nervous about being critiqued.  I’m nervous about actually working for real paying clients.  

But thank goodness for friends!  After hearing my spotlight today, a friend told me about a Photography class she signed up for at the local rec center.  It’s 5 weeks, 2 hours a week and super basic, focusing on portraits.  It doesn’t matter what kind of camera you have.  She is already signed up and encouraged me to join her if there are still spots left.  I came home, checked it out and YES!  there are still openings.  It starts Tuesday night, which is about the only night of the week that I don’t have other conflicts.  Double bonus! 

It’s time for me to stop fantasizing about being a Photographer and actually do something about it.  I have A LOT to learn, and I’m ready to take the plunge and get to work!   Thanks again, Robin, for the positive peer pressure.  This girl surely needed it!

5 comments:

Danielle said...

I want to take that class! Where is it?

Unknown said...

Go for it! It sounds like a great class.

The kids really enjoy it when we spotlight the teachers :)

Vern said...

Christy! I can't believe I forgot my pictures of Barbie in the bathroom of Joes Farm Grill. I remembered after you left your comment, AND I totally took a picture of the scorpion warning sign. How could I forget?! I suppose I could do a part II but it feels a little late for that. Oh well. As for enchiladas and brownies, I say AMEN!

Adam and Christine Jardine said...

If you need some cuties to practice on, we'll go anywhere you need us to! Some of my most favorite pictures of the kids have been from the "practicing" photographers. Seriously! Especially this little man who won't stop growing!

The State of Our Family said...

Great idea! Best of luck to you. Your photography skills have truly been a blessing to OUR family! Keep us all posted!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails