Saturday, October 27, 2007

Trunk or Treat?



I think the "Trunk or Treat" phenomenon is sweeping the country... well at least it is in Arizona. I thought it was purely a "mormon" invention that stemmed from those frightening stories when I was a kid about crazies putting razor blades in apples and passing them out to kids on Halloween. I remember for a few years after that, my mom would drive us all over town to trick or treat at trusted friends' houses (usually members of our church). It was an unusual way to trick or treat, but at least she knew all the loot was safe to eat. Now, it seems that everyone one does "trunk or treating". Ian wanted to invite a friend from school to our ward trunk or treat and when I called to explain it to the mom, I said, "after we eat chili and play carnival games, the kids will do some trick or treating from everyone's cars out in the parking lot...." She immediately said, "oh yeah, a trunk or treat, right?" Our ward in Dublin always did "trunk or treat" on Halloween night, early in the evening, so there was still time to go home and hit a bit of the neighborhood too. It wasn't a fancy affair, just 30-40 families meeting in the church parking lot and swapping loads of candy. Here, it's a full scale party, so fortunately, they plan it on another night, so the kids still have a full night to trick or treat at home on Halloween. Of course, the kids love being able to dress up and trick or treat 2 nights instead of one! I was the official photographer of the event, so I went around and took pictures of anyone and everyone that I could, but somehow I missed getting pictures with Taylor and Ian in them! Good thing I have another shot on Wednesday to do it right! Brayden wouldn't wear his "official" costume tonight, so we put him in his favorite thing to wear around the house: a Batman mask with the Captain America cape. Hopefully on Halloween, we'll get him in the real costume! Eric and I went the easy route... we dug out our Hawaiian threads to parade around in!


4 comments:

Elise said...

I think we are the only ward in the nation that doesn't do "Trunk or Treat". Such a bummer. Even the Methodist church where Kate goes to preschool does Trunk or Treat and they even decorate the trunks. Kind of jealous over here.

What is Brayden suppose to be for Halloween? What are the other kids being?

BTW...almost have Alan convinced to go to LA.

Christy said...

You'll have to wait until I blog on Halloween to see everyone's costumes... Taylor's plan changes daily, so who knows what he'll end up doing in the long run....

Mom told me last night that they are going to LA.... I'm going to email her a website I found for a cheap hotel that will work well for just her and dad, so she can get a reservation made soon.

Kristen said...

I thought last night was great!! And I loved your costume! :)

Sheri said...

Brayden looked so cute!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails