Sunday, January 13, 2008

Renewing my Spirit

Some Sundays are better than others. Today was a good one, and it was even our first week with 9:00 church! Anytime I get to sit through all of Sacrament Meeting without taking Brayden out into the hallway is a complete success in my book! I really enjoyed the talks in Sacrament Meeting, which were based on a conference address from Daniel K. Judd (a member of the General Sunday School presidency). He used to teach at Ricks College and Eric and I both took at least one class from him. I'm pretty sure I took at least 2 or more of his classes and really enjoyed them all! Tidbits I gleaned from the talks today:

*Take time to think about what you learned from a lesson or talk that wasn't spoken outloud.

*If you are listening to a talk or lesson with the spirit, even if the material is delivered poorly, you will feel the spirit and learn something.

*Remember times when you feel powerful manifestations of the spirit - those times will help you when you are struggling later on.


We also had an awesome RS lesson. (Not to slight our Sunday School teacher at all - his lessons are always excellent, but I missed most of it today because I was in Primary helping Ian give a talk.) In Relief Society, we talked about the First Vision. We shared powerful experiences relating to the First Vision. I talked about the two times I've been able to visit the Sacred Grove in person. I remember the first time I went as a teenager. I really had no idea what to expect, but I think in my mind, it was a small stand of trees (a dozen or less) and I expected some kind of bench or plaque marking the exact location of Joseph's vision. Not so... the grove is acres and acres of forest and the church has wound paths and benches throughout the entire area. It's more beautiful and peaceful and serene than any place I've ever been to before (outside of the temple.) Words cannot describe the feeling you get when you visit. I'm really fortunate, because being a native Californian, traveling to upstate New York isn't something you do every day. I've been to the Sacred Grove twice and I can't wait to go again!

1 comment:

OurHappyFamily said...

I too really enjoyed the talks given in sacrament... and I must say, the Sunday School lesson was really good too (hahaha), I liked that little disclaimer!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails