Before I finish my Disneyland monologue, I feel it important to deviate today...
One of my greatest fears in life as a mother is to outlive my children. One of Eric's co-workers and his family were on the bus that crashed in Southern Utah the other day. Click here for full story: http://http//www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,320566,00.html
Eric and others at work spent most of the day trying to track down his whereabouts and to find out if he was okay. The first thing they did find out is that his son, Reese didn't survive the crash. They knew that Maurice was in a hospital in Southern Colorado in critical condition and that his wife was okay (a broken leg or arm, but no other serious injuries). By the end of the day, they were able to find out that Maurice had a few broken ribs and a lacerated liver, but would survive. How they will get over the shock of Reese's death, I just don't know. Reese was 12 years old and their only child. I've cried a lot in the last day, just thinking about how devastating this will be for him and his wife. Eric's right-hand-man was very tight with this family and is trying to find a flight to Colorado today to be with them while he's still in the hospital.
I guess the reason I felt the need to blog about this was that I've been thinking alot since yesterday about the things we take for granted. How often do we get irritated or annoyed by such simple things (like a door ding in our car door or having to wait a long time to get a table at a restaurant....) Life really is too short to spend so much time in a bad mood. Today I've decided to make a more conscious effort to be happy and grateful (even when circumstances around me aren't good). I don't want my children to remember me as a grumpy mom. I don't want to remember the times I lost my temper and yelled at my kids, especially when I could have handled the situation better. And I don't want to ever be in the situation where I have to think, "Can you believe the last thing I said to this person was.... (something negative....)?" We all know that death is inevitable, but last night it reminded me just how fragile life is. I want to enjoy every last moment of it!
4 comments:
What a perfect time for a blog like this C. Thanks! I was just watching the noon news about a mother in IN who was trapped in flood waters and could only save three of her two children and then read a blog about a young father whose wife has CF and is in the hospital with her preemie newborn daughter and it really put a sobering redirect on my day. For me to be annoyed by my broken computer mouse or to be annoyed with another person is really just immature and silly. Not that tragic things like this have to keep me there, but today I seem to be very sensitive to it all. My heart is heavy. My life is so easy and I have no reason to complain about ANYTHING! thank you for posting this today.
that mother in Indiana had five not two children... typo's through tears.
I feel the same. I cried as I read your post.
You are right on Christy! Life is too short and we need to remember every day to count our blessings. I share some of your pain from a similar experience with my own family, with the recent loss of my uncle. He was 45 when he died and father of six children. I will keep your friends in our prayers. Thanks for your post. It's always good to be reminded of the things that are most important in this life!
Post a Comment