Tuesday, January 22, 2008

You're Allergic to WHAT?!?

I have a lifelong history of allergies and asthma. Yes, it sucks, but it's life - what are you going to do? I first developed allergies and asthma as a kid and I remember using medication for both all the way through high school. Then, I left for college and living in a new state after 18 years of the same thing gave my body a break. My A & A went away. Gone... but my allergies didn't come back until I'd been in a 2nd non-home state for almost 3 years. Turns out I really had a problem with the orange stuff that grows on the Utah mountains in the fall. It's gorgeous, I know, but I'm allergic to it! So, we graduated from BYU and moved back to CA... no allergies again for a couple years. This was great! I'm thinking that maybe I "outgrew" them and it's a thing of the past! Then, one year, I get sick. Really sick... bronchitis that later becomes walking pneumonia... and then the doctor asks me if I'm an asthmatic. "No," I say, "well, I had asthma as a kid, but it hasn't surfaced since high school...., so I must have outgrown it!" The dr. laughs... and says, "you don't outgrow asthma. Once an asthmatic, always an asthmatic!" Great, Im thinking.... we're together for life! But then, once again another move to another state and I get a repreive. Not much, but a little... of course, AZ is an allergy hotspot, but it's supposed to be great for asthma because of the dry air. Humidity is an asthmatic's worst enemy! But after being here almost 3 years, my allergies and asthma are worse than they have EVER been in my whole life. I've been sick and miserable all winter (since September) and I can't figure out what triggered this sudden onslaught of misery! Then it hit me.... the guinea pig! We got a guinea pig in August for Ian's 7th birthday and I'm totally thinking I'm allergic to him. But he's so darn cute! So, will I sound like a complete pyscopath if I call my doctor and ask if there is an allergy test for guinea pigs??? And even if there is a test out there for it, and even if it comes back positive, what am I going to do about it? Get rid of cute little Tony (whom EVERYONE in this family adores?) Of course not...... any advice out there???

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone suggested to me that it might be the shavings or paper in the bottom of the cage that might be the culprit. Anyway, you might change them for a while and see if it gets better.
Love mom

Lexie & Sharrid said...

I would def. find out, and if it is the G. Pig, talk to Ian about trading him for another non allergic pet? or something else even...

Craig said...

Christy, you Grandma Rossiter was really allergic to sage brush, which they found in abundance in Victorville and Carson City. I bet there is some sage brush within wind carry distance of AZ. Can you get tested for that?
--Dad

Sheri said...

No advice, just sympathy :(

Elise said...

Wow. What a dilemma! Hoping not to have to face that here but I am sure one day Kate will ask for a pet and Alan is allergic to both cats and dogs. Good luck. Ask for the test!

Dezaree said...

That stinks. I wouldn't know what to do in that situation. I think it's just arizona. I have never had allergies until I moved here. But who knows.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails