This could turn into a rather sorted tail, and not so much for my driving exploits, but more for the automotive magnificence that I had at my
disposal. First, when I was about 14 years old and the actual event of driving a car was soon to be within reach, my dreams of driving were filled with memories of slamming down the gas pedal of a turquoise green 1969 Plymouth Fury III. This was not only an automotive wonder, but a car of substantial power for its time (some came equipped with a 330 HP engine). This classic "Land Yacht" had the classic body-bag truck that every mobster is looking for, but in our case, it meant tons of room for groceries; however, not enough room for all 7 kids.
disposal. First, when I was about 14 years old and the actual event of driving a car was soon to be within reach, my dreams of driving were filled with memories of slamming down the gas pedal of a turquoise green 1969 Plymouth Fury III. This was not only an automotive wonder, but a car of substantial power for its time (some came equipped with a 330 HP engine). This classic "Land Yacht" had the classic body-bag truck that every mobster is looking for, but in our case, it meant tons of room for groceries; however, not enough room for all 7 kids. Even though seat belt wearing was not even enforced back then, this car was sold to a prison jail guard after a mechanical breakdown made it essentially worthless. So I never even drove this car, but thought it would probably be fun, especially after being in the car with my older brother, Jeff, when he turned a couple brodies (donuts) on a softball field. I also remember my mom cracking the century mark in this car (100 mph, baby!) in the middle of the Nevada desert. This was her carefully calculated attempt to shorten the trip to Utah while my dad was asleep. As soon as Dad nodded out, she slammed down on the accelerator and off we went, no seatbelts and all!
This in turn meant that my driving skills would be
developed and honed in either a Titian Red and White Cloud 1970 VW Bus or a Green 1973 Chevrolet Beauville Sportvan (years could be off by 1 or 2). Back then (circa 1985-6), neither was an appealing option when some of my friends had new VW Cabriolets and BMWs. The "Bus" had only 57 HP, so hard to say it was fun, but I do remember it being a chick magnet. I think we blew out the engine on that thing about 5-6 times. It happened so often that my dad could basically take out the engine and put a new
one in and have it running on a Saturday. The Beauville was the ultimate "Thunder Bus". It don't think there was anything cool about this vehicle, other than its nearly impervious body armor. I remember the hood being extremely heavy and almost every window in that thing would nearly fall out when the doors were shut. The "Hooptie" did also have some monster power and it was rather easy to get a "scratch" with this van without even trying. One time my dad got a ticket pulling out of the DMV parking lot for laying some Michelin rubber down while trying to avoid on-coming traffic. His citation, "Abupt start on a public street". The "BMW" (Big Mormon Wagon) was also the classic caravaner to stake dances as a teenager and post-seminary transporter (I think the record was 22 passengers from seminary to Armijo High School (Alma Mater of Pat Morita of Karate Kid, Happy Days, and Down & Derby fame; "Wax on, Wax off").
developed and honed in either a Titian Red and White Cloud 1970 VW Bus or a Green 1973 Chevrolet Beauville Sportvan (years could be off by 1 or 2). Back then (circa 1985-6), neither was an appealing option when some of my friends had new VW Cabriolets and BMWs. The "Bus" had only 57 HP, so hard to say it was fun, but I do remember it being a chick magnet. I think we blew out the engine on that thing about 5-6 times. It happened so often that my dad could basically take out the engine and put a new
one in and have it running on a Saturday. The Beauville was the ultimate "Thunder Bus". It don't think there was anything cool about this vehicle, other than its nearly impervious body armor. I remember the hood being extremely heavy and almost every window in that thing would nearly fall out when the doors were shut. The "Hooptie" did also have some monster power and it was rather easy to get a "scratch" with this van without even trying. One time my dad got a ticket pulling out of the DMV parking lot for laying some Michelin rubber down while trying to avoid on-coming traffic. His citation, "Abupt start on a public street". The "BMW" (Big Mormon Wagon) was also the classic caravaner to stake dances as a teenager and post-seminary transporter (I think the record was 22 passengers from seminary to Armijo High School (Alma Mater of Pat Morita of Karate Kid, Happy Days, and Down & Derby fame; "Wax on, Wax off").
Well, once Jeff graduated from high school, a car dilemna begin as he needed a car to get to work and I need a car to get to early morning seminary and then school. Money was tight
with our large family and I was unemployed, so my dad made a peace offering, "Find a car under $500 and we will get it, if it runs." So I scoured the paper and found a 1977 Honda Civic CVCC for sale. It ran (and burned oil), but we picked it up and the pimpin' began. First, I installed a stereo system, complete with 7 Channel graphic equilizer. Then, we spray painted all the rust white (luckily, the car was white also) and then performed a couple apolstorery acutriments. I think almost all of the remaining five kids learned how to drive in this car. Historically speaking, this car yielded about as high ROI (Return on Investment) as a car could have (5 kids driver trained (almost typed potty), cheap transportation, the choke is a turbo trick (long story), and Elise 85 mph traffic weaving NASCAR display). Not too much more you could get out of a car with "12's" (12" wheeled car, you know just like the 22's that kids ride around with today). Well, I could go on and on, but that pretty much takes care of the teenage years. Post mission years, brought the first car I owned by myself. The 1981 Honda
Accord LX. The car below is an exact replica (very hard to find this model these days, but then again not too many people are looking!). Certainly, this tale could have been much different had my dad taken up an offer to get a Citroen for FREE. That would have been a cool teenager car, but it would have been hard to get parts and it probably would have been broken more than working. But hey, that's how it goes sometimes.
Accord LX. The car below is an exact replica (very hard to find this model these days, but then again not too many people are looking!). Certainly, this tale could have been much different had my dad taken up an offer to get a Citroen for FREE. That would have been a cool teenager car, but it would have been hard to get parts and it probably would have been broken more than working. But hey, that's how it goes sometimes. 
4 comments:
Eric, great post! I was cracking up! Loved the part about your mom breaking the century mark--Linda you go girl!
--Dad R
Hey Eric,
Pretty funny stuff. You should post more often. Brian was the last one to drive the little white car. When I was a freshman in high school, I often had to get in the trunk while he drove a bunch of others around. But I learned in the "Thunder Bus" and partly in your burgandy Honda. I am sure you recall me driving it into a median. Then there was the wood paneled Buick station wagon; I think that is what I took my DMV drivers test in and the car you took on your honeymoon. I don't think any of them were chick magnets though; I got percisely less than zero dates in all of them combined
R.I.P Thunder Bus,
Jon
okay, how in the world does she get you to blog? I have a lot of power herek, but don't think I have THAT much power LOL
nice to read though :)
Jon is right, I basically killed the Honda Civic (or as it was called in high school, the White Puff because of all the smoke that came out of it everytime you started it) with all my mad driving skills. Loved the trip down memory lane with all the awesome cars we have been exposed to in our early years. I am surprised that you didn't mention that lovely trip/explosion on the Benicia Bridge with the VW van and your exciting trip to the CHP office or that Mom/Dad just got rid of the green bomber van. Oh the memories!!! You and me need to blog more of our wacky childhood memories. I think I will have to steal this idea.
Post a Comment