Saturday, May 24, 2008

Movies VS. Books


I love to read... I love to watch movies, too. What do you do when they botch the movie of your favorite book? This happened to me when they made The Prisoner of Azkaban. It's my favorite Harry Potter book of the whole series and they RUINED the movie. They took out really critical and important information that they could have put in and it took me MANY viewings to get accustomed to the NEW Hogwarts and the filming style. Even though it's grown on me enough that I no longer hate it, I still silently moan about it... it could have been SOOO MUCH BETTER!


I learned a valuable lesson when I went to the theater to see that movie. Never again would I see a movie about a book that I'd just barely read. When the book is still fresh in my mind, I will sit through the movie and nitpick every little discrepency. I did it with Harry Potter... I did it with The DaVinci Code. I did it with Ella Enchanted. And even though I tried not to... I did it with Eragon too.


Tonight I took Megan and Ian to see Prince Caspian. I have read the first 4 books in the Narnia series, but it's been a really long time (like a couple years), so I just don't remember all the specifics. Even though I was sorely tempted, I didn't re-read the book before seeing the movie. I didn't want the movie experience to be ruined because of it. And I'm so glad I resisted temptation! The movie was wonderful - I enjoyed every minute of it. On the way home, Megan decided her reading project for the summer will be the Narnia series. I challenged her to read all seven books in her eight week summer vacation. I think she can do it... it's almost 800 pages of reading, so that means 100 pages a week. Maybe when she's done, I'll go back and read the whole Narnia series again... and finish it this time! I know some people think this is cheating, but I really enjoy reading the books AFTER I've seen the movie. I read the Lord of the Rings books after I saw all 3 movies, and I'm telling you... I'd have never made it through to the end without the visual imagry the movie provided. My imagination just isn't equipped to visualize the worlds he created without the help of Peter Jackson and gorgeous New Zealand!
I know a lot of you are with me on this one... I'm crossing my fingers about the Twilight movie. If they ruin it, I'll be sooo upset! A couple friends and I have already decided that if they offer midnight showings the night before the opening day, we are going to go! Anyone else want to come... Sheri, come on I know you want to!

4 comments:

Lexie & Sharrid said...

This is how I look at it. I just view it more as the movies are a bonus, a plus to anyone that has read the book. If you've read the book, you know what really happened so who cares so much if the movie is a little different, because let's face they all will be. You can't take 2 different mediums such as books and movies and have them be exactly alike. I like both mediums for what they are and never get upset because I feel as a reader the movies are just a bonue. You take what you want from them and leave the rest...I do not imagine everything to a tea when I read so I actually like the movies cause the help me complete my imaginations.

Melissa said...

I heard someone say they thought the movie really followed the book on Prince Caspian... and I thought, "What book did you read?!" :) You were smart not to read it... I do the same thing too! I just reread "Half Blood Prince" because I didn't want to have read it right before the movie comes out this fall. But, I have learned to try and separate the two things... I look at the book and movie as two totally separate entities. Try to think of them as totally unrelated... that way I'm usually able to enjoy the movies as much as the books.
Still haven't read "Twilight"

Sheri said...

I know what you mean. They ruined The Goblet of Fire - they totally chopped that book up! It really made me mad at the time. I'm going to read the Narnia books too - I've never read them.

I'd like to go to the midnight movie - it's just I love to sleep too...so we'll see how I'm feeling then. :)

Anonymous said...

we saw the movie first. ::::sheepish:;::

loved the movie, but loved reading your thoughts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails