Sunday, May 18, 2008

Inept

I was talking to a really good friend in the foyer during church today... and I brought up something I'd read on a blog. Then she confided something like this, "reading blogs just brings me down because it seems that everyone's life is going so much better than mine...." I thought about that a long time after she said it... and it reminded me of something else my M-I-L has said countless times... "I can't send out a christmas letter to brag about my family because I don't have a wonderful life to brag about... we're just normal!" She HATES "brag mail" at Christmas time more than anyone I know!


Here's my take on that idea... I'm inept at many things. I struggle with many things. I don't always share the things I struggle with. Why? I don't know... not because I'm trying to put on a facade of the "perfect life"... I just can't put my finger on it. I think a lot of people are like me. They like to remember the highlights... have you ever read a Christmas Letter than went something like this:
This year has been terrible. Bob got cancer, we spent our life savings on med bills, then I lost my job because we took too much time off to be at the hospital, then our house got hit and destroyed by a tornado... life sucks for us... but hope you have a Merry Christmas!

I sure haven't! I wouldn't want to read one like that either... too depressing... and even when times are tough, there are always jewel moments in life worth remembering!

Anyway, here's something that I'm completely inept at. I read a post of a friend's today about her favorite songs. I haven't heard of any of them. I've heard of some of the bands, but I just don't keep up in the music world. Eric does... he's big into music. He downloads songs off itunes all the time. I've never done it. Eric knows who sings almost any song that's ever been sung since the 80's. It blows my mind away when he starts talking about songs that should have been buried 20 years ago because they were that bad. He knows who sang such songs and what other songs that band sung too... When I'm in the car, I have about 3 radio stations that I jostle between... Radio Disney, Fox News and Flight 26 (I have xm radio and I LOVE it!) If it wasn't for xm radio, I would be even more clueless than I am! I try to pay attention to the names of bands as they pop up on my GPS screen, but for whatever reason, I just can't remember who sings what... modern music and current bands are beyond me!

So now's the time to confess - there will be no judging on my blog - what are you inept at???

8 comments:

Lexie & Sharrid said...

I don't know what I'm enept at but I do know on my blog, I write about the good and the downers. I want to know 20 years from now what we struggled with or what we rose above. In my opinion, it can only help.

About the music, I am definately not enept about that! I know music really well, but modern bands and radio music is getting so lame. Once in a while there is a great song, like "Somewhere only we know" Keane, or "Apologize" by One Republic, but I could never listen to the radio now a days cause 90% is crap!

Sheri said...

Ummm...I'm inept at LOTS of things. Sewing, cooking, cleaning, computer issues. I basically feel inept all the time. But that's ok. I'm hear to learn, right?

Christy said...

Sheri,
You are not inept at a lot of other things too... especially music... it was your blog I was referring to!

Lexie,
Most often when I want to "vent" about frustrations, they involve family members... which I can't write about online........ of course, I feel free to vent about my kids and their doings anytime, anywhere! They belong to me, after all!

Melissa said...

I admit, I hate the Christmas letters too. Probably because it feels like a competition in a way... and I only think that because I KNOW people who send them out with that attitude... "My kids are better than your kids because they did this...".
What am I inept at? Hmm... so many things... let's see... math. Numbers in general confuse me. I took basic algebra 3 different times from 3 different teachers. I got a C every time. In college I worked really hard to try and figure it out and it just didn't click. Red is starting to get into math stuff in 3rd grade that I don't remember how to do. Sad, eh?
Send your friend to my blog... I'm pretty good about mixing in the good, the bad and the ugly :)

Dezaree said...

Everything.....that is all. :)

Kayla, Nic, Paige, Ellie and Maddy said...

I have to agree with one of your other comments...Im inept with the whole math thing, and it is embarasing now that I have children that can do some of it better then me. No matter what, It just does not click with me at all!!
Nic is awsome with the whole music thing, he knows every song out there! I too only listen to xm radio and if it was not for them saying the artist and title on the screen I would be clueless!
I will also agree with the christmas letters, I love the way you do yours, I love all the little comments that you write that the kids have said, all the rest of the letters I could do with out.... They come across as almost a competition..My family is better then yours, Blah, Blah, Blah! The only people we send cards out too are people who really know us and already know what is going on with our lives, If we have not seen you for a while, do you even care about Nic's job or that the girls made Honer Roll???? Not me....So Im sure this will get me off of some christmas card lists..Oh-well.

Elise said...

I'm inept at updating my blog on a regular basis (although I do think about it a lot), remaining on a diet so I can lose this freaking weight, anything that has to do with being domestic (sewing, cooking, etc), and remembering any movie or movie lines (just plain bad at that one).

Heidi said...

Christy the list is long but here are a few....algebra, remembering dates, history, reading novels (I am too impatient for the unknown ending and I bore easily with fiction), keeping certain things organized, balancing my time, and a million and one other things that I won't embarrass myself by confessing.

About the Christmas letters...I agree they can come off as bragging (guilty-not that I want to come across as bragging but they always come across that way I fear) and I know that I should be better at keeping in touch so that I don't have to send a letter to tell everyone once a year about what all is going on with us. Yet another thing to add to my list of things I am inept at...keeping in touch well!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails