Sunday, June 29, 2008

Saguaro Lake



Here's some fun photos from our trip to the lake yesterday. All in all, we had a great time. Taylor got out first so he could work on his WaterSports Merit Badge. (One of the products of being the son of a Scoutmaster.) After a few attempts, he did the hardest thing on the list - cross each wake back and forth 4 times... so he had to cross over from side to side 8 times. It's harder than it looks, but he finally did it! I'm not sure I've been able to do that yet, so we are darn proud of him!




One of our favorite things to do is to anchor the boat in a cove and swim... well it often turns into a canonball contest... something we can't do in our pool at home because we don't have a deep end. Yesterday they discovered that belly flops don't hurt when you have a lifejacket on, so we got some great shots of belly floppin' supreme!



We tried a new type of tube yesterday and everyone loved it. We even got Brayden out there with Eric for a short run.... I was only going 4 mph, so it was a super safe adventure for him!


I'm so glad Ian is smiling in this photo. It seems we always have a "glitch" of some kind at the lake. Maybe this is normal, but we've never owned a boat before last year. We've had everything from flat tires on the boat trailer (with no spare and no store for 30 miles) to snapping the tube rope because we weren't using the right type of rope. Yesterday, Ian was in the water waiting for me to circle around and pick him up after kneeboarding and he almost got run over by another boat. It was a close call. Way toooo close. He was fine... but Eric and I were pretty shaken up about it. We still are today. We don't know if the other guy driving just didn't see him at all or if he was just a jerk who didn't care if he whizzed right past a little kid with less than a few feet to spare. We don't know because he never came back to see if we were okay or to apologize... and there's no way he didn't know what he'd done by the time he passed our boat. Eric was screaming at him like I've never heard him yell before. No profanities, though... I was grateful for that. :) I was very proud of Ian, too. After we swam for a bit (in a safer area, no wake zone), he got back on the horse and rode the tube around with Megan and Taylor. We also had a "safety lesson" on what to do if you are in the water and you see a boat coming. Everytime we go out, we have a new "learning experience" it seems. I guess that's life. I'm just so grateful that my baby is okay.

p.s. Mom, the boat photo at the top is for you! Sorry about the water spots on the lense... I took it from the water!

8 comments:

Methodical Wormer said...

HOLY scary!! Not a whole lot you can do when a boat is about to run your kid over. I am SO glad he's okay. Our primary class would not be the same without him!

Sheri said...

That's so scary - glad Ian is alright. Some of my best memories as a kid were going to the lake. It looks like so much fun!

Kristen said...

You guys do so many fun things! It makes me feel like a LOSER! :) How fun!!

Kayla, Nic, Paige, Ellie and Maddy said...

What a scary story! There are some crazy people out there! I almost got ran over by a crazy person when I was 16, it was not fun! This may be why my kids have not been in a boat!

Elise said...

OMG!! So very scary! I am so glad Ian is okay but what a jerk to not come back and see if everyone is ok! Can't stand jerks!

Way to go Taylor, though. I can't believe he went 8 times in a row. Awesome!

Melissa said...

Scary!! I'm glad he was okay... and that he was brave enough to get back on later! I don't know if I would have been!
It must be so much fun to have a boat!! I've always wanted one, but I don't know where we'd use it here...

Anonymous said...

great summer pictures!!!! Paul grew up on a boat like that I love that you guys are out there doing it too.

Anonymous said...

oh and I love the blog look!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails