
I'm going to make a confession - I'm addicted to Audio Books. It all started 5-6 years ago for a book club. We were reading The Christmas Train by David Baldacci (an excellent read, by the way) and the only copy my library had left was the audio book version. So, I checked it out and by the end of the book, I was absolutely hooked.
In the beginning, I couldn't really multi-task while listening to a book. If I got even slightly distracted, I'd have to skip back and start the track over. My favorite place to listen was in the car - I spent lots of time in the car back then. Over time it slowly evolved and I got better. At first I could fold laundry and sweep floors, while I hung Taylor's CD player with case over my shoulder. I think I got more milage out of that portable CD player than he did. (This was pre-ipod days of course!) Then I figured out that I could scrapbook, as long as I was doing something mindless - no "planning" and no "journaling". I could also paint rooms and clean kitchens while listening. Now that we have a gym membership, I don't enjoy a trip to the gym if I don't have an audio book qued up. I have lots of music on my ipod, but the audio books are my favorite!
These are the audiobooks that got me through my two bathroom remodels... I listened to Twilight (Stephenie Meyer) while I chipped old tile out of my bathroom and I listened to Empire (Orson Scott Card) while I grouted and painted it. I listened to The Thirteenth Tale (Diane Setterfield) during all of the kids bathroom remodel (much less hours were invested in getting the second bathroom done than the master!)
I especially love audio books when they have sound effects, multiple readers (Ender's Game is a great example of this) or if there is background music at all the appropriate moments (like tense scenes...) And I love being able to put them on my ipod, so I don't have to lug around a CD player anymore! I check them out at the library, rip the CD's to my computer and then sync them to my ipod. Once I've listened to it, I delete the whole thing (since it's the library's copy and not mine.)
Another confession - I HATE cleaning my house. I really HATE it. I'm much better at organizational projects, than just plain scrubbing something. But with my kids home all day, the house is in constant need of "something". So, I've made a goal to spend one hour each day cleaning something that isn't an everday chore (laundry, dishes, etc.) So far it's working... yesterday, I even worked through two CD's worth of New Moon (my current read) which is actually more than 2 hours! So, as long as I have a good audiobook to escape to, I should be able to accomplish my goal!
Do you have a favorite Audio Book?
2 comments:
We love audio books too! I actually just downloaded "Matilda" for our trip to Idaho. We love the Narnia books, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Facotry). We listen to these while traveling... it sure makes things easier for me. I like to get books for the kids like "Magic Tree House".
Ok I have to say I will never like an audiobook more than the music on my iPod BUT I have only listened to one audiobook and that is cause they didn't have the book and I believe it was either The Giver, or the sequel, gathering blue...anyway but with 2 kids under the age of 2 1/2...I might just have to try what you do to get my reading fix!
Post a Comment