Wednesday, July 23, 2008
5 Days and Counting...
... until school starts. Up until this week, we've been doing pretty well together. But this week has been hard. I can't tell you the number of times I've heard someone yelling, "stop bossing me around" or "you can't tell me what to do" or "mom said it's my turn"... you get the idea. I haven't felt 100% this week either. Monday and Tuesday I was a walking bomb. I could feel the tension just bubbling under the surface and it didn't take much to get me upset. I'm trying really hard to be patient, but if I didn't have just 5 days left until sanity returns, I don't think I would make it! Any tips on how to get through the last week of summer vacation???
Labels:
venting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I SOOOO know what you mean! This is our last week befor school starts too, and this is always the worst week!
Un-fourtunatly I have no good ideas for you!
Just be patient and dream of the peace and quiet of the days to come!
I drink lots of Coke - which I know I shouldn't. I also take 5 minutes and deep breath while lying on the ground somewhere - I know it sounds crazy - in fact I did it in the middle of the driveway the other day. It helps me calm down and I also have a silent prayer/plead that I can make it through the next two hours.
No idea!! But, I do wish you the very best of luck and I will try not to be insanely jealous as we have another month and a half before school starts here... sniff sniff...
we have been so busy so far, I haven't felt it yet, I am liking sleeping in. but I do miss my quiet time. good luck this last week.
great review on the movie. Happy Bday Ian... time flies!!!!
glad to get caught up.
Would it be inappropriate to mention "DRUGS"? No...I suppose that would not help them get along, it would only help you not to know they weren't getting along. Well... with that in mind, then maybe you might want to consider DRUGS. No really...I'm just kidding. Actually I've had some of the same feelings about Uncle Stan being home all day long. I really do have days when I want to ask him, "when are you going back to work?" Sometimes the "bubby system" is not such a good thing.
Hope you survive this week. Remember...there's always a hiding place if you think hard enough. Sometimes you just need to let them work it out for themselves and make sure you're out of earshot so you're not stressed out by it.
Please introduce me to Karen...she sounds fun!
I don't know what you all are talking about. Really, come on, children bickering and fighting and you wanting them gone....are you nuts??? NO...you're human and they are (sometimes) too. Seriously though, all kidding aside, it is like they know that they have the clock ticking down in their heads and they know that dreaded day of early wakings and homework and what not is coming. It turns them into something that just isn't what I would call human!
Anyhow, I try and schedule a week of things we didn't get to do the entire rest of the summer that they really want to do. This gives you an advantage, if they don't cooperate, one of the huge outings, items, etc. DISAPPEARS!!! (the fine print would inform you that this may then cause further fighting and bickering BUT we are going to ignore the fine print and count on them not losing such privileges).
It seems there is are endless days of "No", "Not right now", "Maybe tomorrow", etc. So....take all the things you said "No" to all summer (within reason of course-shaving Megan's head and Taylor getting a tattoo are not options) and do them all the last week! Some people keep a "Yes" jar that they put all the requests that you had to say "No" to in. Then on any given and predetermined Saturday or vacation day you make it a "Yes" day and you break into the jars contents! Make sense?
It is late, I am sleep deprived, this countdown clock you have on your blog keeps ticking away in my peripheral vision and it is making me crazy....time to sign off!
Much love girl!
Karen, Drugs for me or them??? I'm thinking both... (kidding... maybe....) :)
Jill, Karen's my aunt... who is a big nascar fan, so I'm assuming (and hoping) one day soon, she'll show up on my doorstep during Nascar weekend looking for a place to sleep! :)
Heidi, great idea, but, the problem is that we've already done all the fun stuff this summer and I'm hosting Ian's birthday party Friday morning, so that's eating up all my free time. I'm hoping to send the older three off with Eric and the scouts for a "caving" adventure on Saturday (all day!) That would be just the therapy I need! :)
Christy, this five days will be over before you know it. Chewing coca leaves worked for altitude sickness in Peru. Maybe we can order you some over the Internet to try next year...Or your mom and I could make a trip back to Cusco...hmmmmm. --Dad R. (Sorry-I justed watched a special on Peru on the Travel Channel, and I can't wait to return. Looking for any excuse!)
I know that I am at the end of a long list of ideas and hopefully you'll see this, but when you guys were kids and didn't always get along before school started (my angels?)Anyway, when I ran out of ideas, I would have a family home evening (and you can have it on Thursday, it sounds like desperate measures are needed)to brain storm. Here you could assign each person in the family a day (you have five days left and 5 members of your family) that they were responsible for. They would then have to come up with an idea for that day for the family to do. You might be surprised at what they come up with for activities.
Good luck. Love ya mom
Post a Comment