Tuesday, November 18, 2008

"James Bond is Recession Proof"




James Bond movies are good for my marriage. We always get a quality date night out of watching a 007 movie. Eric gets to watch an action packed blockbuster and I get to watch a handsome James Bond in action. Everybody wins! We saw Quantum of Solace on Saturday afternoon. Warning - if you have not seen Casino Royale, don't go see this movie until you do. For the first time that I can remember, the two plots are connected. I haven't seen Casino Royale in a long time and I regretted not watching it again before we went. I found myself trying to remember who everyone was and how they were connected before.

I grew up watching 007. I don't remember too much about the Sean Connery days, but I've faithfully followed 4 James Bonds in my time. Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and now Daniel Craig. My parents owned a Laser Disc machine way back when I was a teenager. This was the predecessor to CD's and eventually DVD's. It was a record size CD that contained a movie on it... but the format was so large, that you had to "flip" the disc halfway through the movie and finish it on the reverse side. Here's a fun picture from wikipedia:



(Side Note: when I run into old friends from the growing up days, and we talk about the things we used to do as kids, they almost always mention the fact that my parents had that cool movie player!) Okay... back to Bond....

Here's the Roger Moore I remember... he was considered "hot" in the 80's right?

Timothy Dalton only did 2 Bond Films, but I liked them. I thought he did a good job, but Eric says he was the wimpiest Bond of the bunch. Probably true....





Then we had Pierce Brosnan who already had a reputation for Hotness growing up in my household.... (my mom was a faithful watcher of Remington Steele!) Can't remember how many Bond movies he did.... four... five??? (I could look it up, but I'm too lazy!) My favorite was Die Another Day.



Then, they decided to give Brosnan the shaft and bring in Daniel Craig. Good Call. At the time, I was skeptical, especially with his blond hair, but by the end of Casino Royal, I was converted! Eric loves Daniel Craig as Bond. (He thinks Brosnan is getting to old and is too soft.) A direct quote from Eric as we left the theater... "Daniel Craig is totally ripped!" I can't argue with that, can I? (I picked the above photo just so I could verify Eric's assessment!)

So, ladies, don't miss out on a great movie just because you think it's just for guys... James Bond is for you too! And I went to see this movie on opening weekend without even seeing a trailer or knowing anything about it.... that' s how much we like James Bond around here!

5 comments:

Lexie & Sharrid said...

I grew up on Bond too. I dont think Daniel Craig is hot, pity...Brosnan was the Bond of my youht and lucky for me hes the best looking to me. He and my dad even look a little alike people say...I think my dad looks more like Kevin Costner but he does or did have the dark hair...

Methodical Wormer said...

We went to see 007 on Saturday too! I feel the same about wishing I had watched Casino Royal before going.

BW totally walks past the computer right when Roger Moore's picture is front and center and goes "what are YOU looking at?" I quickly replied, "It's the Relief Society President's blog, I swear!" :)

Anonymous said...

Dad and I loved James Bond movies. Without referring to our age, Sean Connery was the best at being the suave and debonair James Bond. Daniel Craig is a good James Bond. What's good about his role is he shows James Bond before the finess and debonair personality developed. Here he is still a little rough around the edges and I agree with Eric, he is totally ripped! Love Mom

Karen said...

I totally agree about watching Casino Royal before seeing this movie. However, I didn't really like this one much. I was so depressed by how sad Bond was and how they were constantly beating him up physically. And yes...he has a great body, but where was all the Bond "personality suave"? It just seemed lacking. And why were there not alot of fantastic cars and gadgets in this movie? So my review is the same as all other "guy" movie reviews. I quote, "There's a good-looking good guy, a bad- looking bad guy, they blow up a building, and the movie is over".
I rest my case!

Sheri said...

with all my excitement about Twilight and 4 Christmases I forgot about the Bond movie. I do love Bond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails