Since I got my new church calling almost 2 months ago, I've had a hard time managing my time well. It's starting to get better and I think I'm starting to get the hang of my new "life" as the RS Pres. (Like the extended 3 hour block that includes time in the clerks office after church and a meeting in the Bishop's office that extends church to the "5 hour" block for me!) But, during the last two months, lots of things that aren't super important have been moved to the back burner. Blogging is one of those things. (It will be too embarassing to list the other things that have also been put on the back burner, so I won't!) I still want to blog every day and I still have lots on my mind and plenty of things I want to say, but I can't seem to find uninterupted time to do it with... Sometimes, my new found perspective stops me from blogging. When I want to gripe about my technical problems with my cell phone or computer or digital camera, I've stopped myself, because it seems so ridiculous to me now to complain about something so trivial.
Yesterday, I travelled to Phoenix Children's Hospital with a friend to visit a family in our ward. Their 14 year old son is fighting Leukemia. He was diagnosed less than a year ago and let's just say that his chances of beating this thing are less than 50%. It's not looking good at all. The first time I called the mom to introduce myself and check in with her, I held it together while we were on the phone for 15 minutes or so, but then I got off the phone and cried for 15 minutes or so. I absolutely can't imagine the trial she is enduring right now. I also have a 14 year old son, and I think it would KILL me to watch him suffer with an illness like this. Situations like this have given me so much perspective. So many reasons to be grateful for the hundreds of blessings I have that I never take time to appreciate. I'm really grateful for this very real lesson on Gratitude right before Thanksgiving. I needed it more than I'd like to admit!
Here's a list of things I'm grateful for today:
*my children's good health
*my testimony of my Savior's love for each of us
*my husband and his love and support
*our beautiful home
*two working cars and lower gas costs!
*health insurance (even though I don't like my current plan options... at least we have it!)
*inspirational music
*the power of creativity
*a good work ethic
*cool days and COLD nights! :)
Kind of an odd list, but it's more for me than it is for you! So, if you are like me and you've let your attitude be soured by all the political crap, poor economy and the overall doom and gloom all around us, take some time and make a list of things you are grateful for.... you'll be surprised how quickly it grows out of control and makes you feel better!
1 comment:
I must have missed that you are RS PRES! prayers that you will find balance in it all.
it sure does keep things in perspective, huh? really serious things people are dealing with, hard not to be grateful and am super impressed you are finding gratitudes in all of your day to day doings.
Post a Comment