Do you ever feel like there's too much drama in life? This last week has been drama filled and I'm soooo DONE with it. I can't really post about any of it, but let me just share one tidbit I've discovered in the last week....
Texting is of the DEVIL!
Teens will text things to each other that they would NEVER say to each other in person. They will text each other horrible, mean and catty things because they don't have to see the other person's face when the message comes through. Teens will text things that are suggestive and inappropriate because they aren't really "with" that person and it all seems so harmless and silly. I've been appalled at some of the texting activity I've been privy to this week. Are we raising a whole generation of kids who won't know how to communicate with each other when they are in their 20's? They also won't know how to spell or type correctly either... another pet peeve I have with texting.
How do we get this under control before we have a whole generation of adults who are absolutely socially inept and clueless? Your thoughts????
7 comments:
we have shut off all texting service. I really think it has to come down per family. Our rule is no texting ever and no cell phone ( other than the one ER one they share now) until they are in seminary and can pay for it w/ a job they have. LOL
Cell phones are a priveledge and whether your kids are great kids or not, I think the answer is simple, no personal cell phones til they are 16 or so, that's being nice because I didn't have one til I left the house. Why does a teen who doesn't drive and go places alone need a cell? It's pretty simple to me...as far as the innapropriate stuff and all, that's just a matter of teaching kids what is right and what is wrong, teaching them to be the best they can and live by the spirit.
forutunatly we don't have this problem yet, but paige who is only 9 has friends with cell phones!! Nic and I are old and have just recently got into the texting thing. We do already know that when the time does come around for the girls to have phones there will be STRICKT rules to follow. I already know that we will have all phones left on the kitchen counter, and I will answer when they are home....remeber when our parents answered the phone when our friends called and would embarase us like crazy. That will be me, but mostly I want to know who the heck is calling my kids. All phones will be turned off at a certain time and then placed in my room for the evening. I think they have a place and can give parents a peace of mind when the kids are out, but they can also cause more trouble then we hope for. Good luck to you! Let us know how it all turns out!
This is a tough one. You can raise your kids to know and do the right thing, but that does not control what others do. Also I know that there are ways to send text messages to multiple recepients. (Not that I am any where near that tec savy.) And that you child might only be be getting what I think of as spam messages. But I think for me and my kids, no texting. But hey, never knew how much fun blogging was until I tried. So good luck! I am glad I have a friend blazing these trails before I have to face them. Hopefully you will find the magic answers in time to give me sage advise.
I have heard commercials on the radio warning against abusive texting that is akin to stalking, and offering help and assistance for victims. It is out of control. I remember a few years ago the big worry was IM. That has now moved over to the cell phone. Texting is a case of moderation in all things. Personally, I am not hooked on the idea. I don't mind sending one or two a day. Last month I think I had a heavy usage month, 59 sent and received. I really don't like getting them because the sender seems to expect an instant response. No thank you. They do have a purpose, well actually two. They make a ton of money for the carrier, and they are a good way to send emergency messages when the system is overloaded. Our Stake Pres. just collected everyone's cell numbers so they could send out emergency messages. He "counseled" everyone who didn't know how to text to learn. The issue with our teens is that we may be faced with trying to get the toothpaste back in the tube--not an easy thing to do. Good luck!
I have to say I'm way behind on the texting curve, but there are things about it that bother me too. One is that you can be having a conversation with someone and they'll be texting someone else. Hey! Would it kill you to pay attention to me for 10 seconds? I think it's rude. I had not even thought of what you bring up here, Christy. How easy it is to just power off a message without thinking. That is dangerous enough for adults, let alone kids. I read something one time that made me think about the affect of all this instantaneous messaging and how it's changed our world -- even just the cell phone. Kids used to have to plan things ahead or miss out. Plan to go to someone's house after school, get permission, etc., not call Mom after school while she's in the store or at the Dr. and say, "Can I go to Tim's house?" Or if you forgot your lunch or book or whatever at home you were stuck -- next time you'd plan better. But now you just call dad on the cell or text him, he swings by the house and gets it and drops it off at school for you. I'm all for technology and all the opportunities and safety it provides, but some things aren't ideal. Like Craig said, how to get that toothpaste back in the tube is a problem. I’m sure there’s a instructional video on YouTube though, right? Janine
Tricky business. My kids are too young for cell phones. You get it all figured out and in a few years I'll check back in with you for all the answers, okay?
Post a Comment