Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Hard Day's Work

Yesterday...

Ten half pints of freezer jam....

plus...

Ten pints of chicken...
plus 39 can of flour, rice, sugar, wheat and milk...

equals one exhausted woman!
Now I just need to find a place to store it all....

6 comments:

OurHappyFamily said...

WOW... Go you!!! I'm WAY impressed!

Kayla, Nic, Paige, Ellie and Maddy said...

Wow! How long will all that last you? And im not up on canning, but what is the reason for canning flour, rice and milk? What kind of milk are you canning??

Christy said...

Kayla, my goal is to have a 3 month supply of food and other supplies so that if there was some kind of pandemic and we had to isolate ourselves in the house for weeks on end, we wouldn't starve to death, or risk outside contamination going to the store. The milk is powdered milk (yuck), but at least you can cook with it if you choose not to drink it. I will never be able to can enough rice to have since we eat it almost every single night. Once the food is in these metal cans, it can last in a cool, dark closet for upwards of 20 years! My chicken will also last in a cool, dark cupboard for at least 10 years. The freezer jam isn't for long term storage, just for yummy jam!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed but with your big family a necessity. Good job!

Shumway Family said...

Good for you. Tell me how to do the chicken. Should I take a pressure canning class here? They offer them.

I LOVE freezer strawberry jam! We make it all the time. I have a super yummy recipe for canned peach jam. My family eats it by the spoonful.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! My favorite part of canning is seeing it all tidy and lined up afterward -- just something about it that is very satisifying.

Janine

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails