Okay, so there are lots of reasons why I love Facebook. I know what I said... it's a place for people to hang out that are too lazy to blog. And that is still true, but as I discovered last month, I was one of those people who was too lazy to blog. Anyway, I'm getting distracted from my original point.
One of the many reasons I love FB is because I can spy on my kids and follow what they are chatting online about with friends, etc. It's very fun and very effective.
Example:
Last Friday I picked Taylor up from school. He had a big History test on Friday that I had spent an hour (on my birthday) grilling him for so he would be prepared. This was our conversation:
Me: So how did it go?
Him: Don't ask. (huh?)
Me: What do you mean?
Him: Notice how I'm not wearing something? (his girlfriend had given him an engraved dog tag necklace for his birthday... it was a very clever idea and very Taylorish. I was quite impressed that she thought of something that perfect for him. But now, the necklace was gone!)
Me: Did she break up with you?
Him: Yeah, but she had "L" do it.
Me: when are you going to swear off "girls" for a while and just be friends with them?
Him: I think I will be able to do that now....
Me: You keep saying that, but it never seems to happen.
Him: Well, it will now.
For the record, it has been only 72 hours since his heart was broken by "E" and he just posted on FB that he is "in a relationship" with "K". He hasn't even been back to school yet since I have 3 of the 4 kids home sick today. How does this happen so quick? I think it's the power of cell phones and texting. (No joke on the texting round the clock.... we are driving to school at 6:20 a.m. and his cell phone is vibrating.)
So if you are FB friends with my first born son, please feel free to give him some online "ribbing" for his behavior. Seriously, I dont' want my son being labeled as the "ladies man" or the "player". Yet, I fear that's the road he's headed down. Why does he feel so emotionally "needy" that he always has to be in some kind of "relationship"? And it's funny too, because it's all virtual. He spends very little time with these girls in person. I know, because I keep close tabs on his whereabouts. Am I just not seeing this as the new "normal" for teens? Because, I am suddenly feeling very old fashioned about now.
(And please don't fall over in shock because I posted twice in one day... I told you the real me was back!)
3 comments:
I love Facebook. But I don't understand all of the games on Facebook. It's weird to me.
Dating is so different with the use of the internet. I hate when relatives say "when I was your age..." but unfortunately it's true. I remember all the guys you dated before you met Eric. There were some you were serious about and some that were "just friends". But the element of personal conversation versing texting never seem to cloud the issue for you.
We love Taylor and hope he can find a balance between the internet and interacting with others. It's a learning process no matter what age you are.
First off, I have to note that your mom said, "all of the guys you dated". Perhaps your son takes after his mom? LOL! But more seriously, sometimes I think teenage girls can be just really darn pushy and that if you're a nice, easy going guy, you could end up "going" with someone before you know it! I'm no expert . .. I'm just sayin'! And like someone else commented, if Taylor was ugly and mean, we wouldn't even be having this discussion!
Better you than me to deal with these things, my friend! Janine
Post a Comment