
I woke up this morning with a "Lost" induced hangover. I think I even dreamed about the show, but since I usually can't remember my dreams when I wake, I can't be positive. (It would not be the first time I've had dreams of the Island....)
Where do I begin? Last night was the much anticipated Season 6 Premiere of Lost. I have been anticipating this day for a long time. A LONG time.
It's the same kind of feeling I had leading up to the final book in the Harry Potter series. I was so anxious for answers and (hopefully) happy endings, yet I was nervous about how things would end, and once it was over, there was a void. Is that crazy?
The good thing about Lost is that I have 14 more TV hours of endings, so there will be plenty of time to savor the final season, I hope! And thanks to DVDs I can always splurge on the Lost TV collection at some point and start all over again. And it would be just as amazing the second time around, but even better because you would finally see all the clues that were carefully placed into the shows 1st season, that 5 years later we still don't' have answers for.
By the way, speaking of answers, the title of this post came from an E! interview I watched online this morning where Damon and Carlton promise at least 73 answers to "questions" that have been raised over the course of the show. I think I will go back and watch last nights episode again and start a running tally of answers I find. Of course, that might be more helpful if I had a list of questions... Click Here to see the online article for yourself, but be warned... if you missed the premiere last night, it contains spoilers... BIG ones!
Last night we had some friends over to watch the show. Holy Cow... watching it with friends is the only way to go! During each commercial we talked non-stop about theories, questions, insights, etc. And so many things I wouldn't have thought of on my own!
One thing didn't hit me will full force last night, but this morning as I was mulling over the mystery that is Lost, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Last night Robyn said something to the effect of this: "When does it hit Ben that when he was a kid, all these plane survivors that he is dealing with in the present were the ones who infiltrated the Dharma Initiative when he was a kid and that it was Sayid who shot him?"
Once you start mulling over the time travel stuff, and how circular in nature it can be, it starts to bring a lot of weird things to light. How back in Season 3 (I think?) Ben knows so much about Jack, Kate, Sawyer, etc. It's like he has been preparing for their arrival. And back in Season 3, the possibility of time travel hadn't entered the picture yet, so we weren't thinking of that as a possibility. I could spend all day mulling over that... and dang it, if I had those seasons on DVD that's what I'd be doing today... watching them over and over again trying to piece it all together.
But I digress... the last two paragraphs conjecture really didn't have anything to do with last night's show. It was just a new thought about the show from last season that blew me away!
Okay, so back to last night's show... if you haven't seen it yet and don't want any spoilers, stop reading now. 

I loved seeing Boone and Claire again... hated watching Juliet die. The alternate reality (I got that concept from the new Star Trek movie, which incidentally was made by our very same JJ and Damon) on the airplane was surreal. Charlie trying to commit suicide... Desmond on the plane, but Shannon wasn't? Hurley was the "luckiest guy in the world"? HUH??? What are we supposed to think about or do with this alternate reality? I didn't really like it, to be honest. I guess it's because I can't figure out what the point of it is.
One big answer we finally got confirmed last night... the Smoke Monster. Now we know what it is and how it works... but what I want to know is WHY does it want to leave the island, and where does it think it's HOME is? Has anyone else noticed the strikingly similar comparison between Jacob and the Man in Black (aka Smokey, who is now pretending to be John Locke) and God/Jesus and Satan. Very interesting indeed.... (like the above picture? Except it appears that they've twisted the roles a bit for John Locke to be in the center of the table...)
Another positive development last night... everyone is back in the present time. Whew... that time travel business was starting to make me a little crazy. I can't wait for Sun and Jin to be reunited. And I read online this morning that we will get some more information about Claire, and that Claire and Sayid will have a common link. Huh? And I really want to see some old favorite characters again... Walt, Desmond, and Charlie. Yeah, I know Charlie's dead, but you never know, right?
But more questions.... is there a bigger group of Others living on the island that we never knew about? Are they connected to Richard and/or Ben? And I really think we deserve Richard's back story... was he a slave on the Black Rock? And is Charles Whidmore out of the picture, or will he come back? Is he really a bad guy? Will Ben do one noble thing before this show is over, or will he always be a manipulative liar, who in the end isn't going to get what he wants, anyway?
I could go on and on, but I can't sit here in front of my computer thinking about Lost all day. There is stuff to do! And I must get some healthy to eat besides a soda and chocolate PB chip cookies.
And one more gift for you Sawyer fans: click here for a YouTube clip dedicated to Sawyer's infamous nicknames!
3 comments:
I must say that I really appreciate you comments. I am often a little baffled by Lost, but you have helped clear it us. We have, of course, saved the recording so we can watch it again. Time travel has always been one of my favorite genres. In Star Trek they debunked one of the "truths" of time travel, that you could never meet yourself without changing the fabric of time. I am guessing that some of the characters might do just that. Keep up the helpful analysis!
I just so absolutely LOVE this show! I am having a love/hate relationship with the last season starting. I love that we'll finally get answers and love being able to watch it again, but I am sad knowing it is the beginning of the end. The thing that intrigued me most about the episode the other night was the alternate reality of 815. You mentioned a few of the differences...a few more would be Jack's hair, Sun being called Miss Paik instead of Mrs. Kwan, John actually GOING on the walkabout (unless he was lying), etc. VERY interesting! It was also fun to see the scene between Jack & Locke at the end. It was so DIFFERENT than any other scene they have done together. They were not at odds with one another. Also interesting are the two things that were lost by flight 815...hmmmm....???? !!!!
O.k. Here are the theories we came up with:
We know Ben was following Jacob so Charles Whitmore must be following Satan (for a lack of a name that's what I'm calling him). Ben betrays Jacob like Judas betrays Jesus.
Desmond is on the plane until Jack revives Charlie. Then he disappears - because if you remember Charlie & Desmond's fates are intertwined - Charlie died and Desmond lived. So if Charlie dies, then Desmond disappears.
I can't figure out why Shannon, Michael and Walt weren't on the plane. Or maybe we just didn't see Michael & Walt? But we definitely know Shannon wasn't on it.
I was glad Juliet died - so was becoming annoying and I think Sawyer's character is a lot more interesting when he's bitter and angry.
Post a Comment