Monday, February 8, 2010

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde


That's my name for Brayden these days. One minute he's an angel and cute as can be, the next minute he is in a screaming rage of anger or frustration.
It's been quite a shock to us the last few weeks.
I am also determined that he NOT become a spoiled-rotten-baby-of-the-family type of child. I've noticed that it's easy to let that happen. You do it without even realizing you are doing it.
So lately, life has gotten a bit tougher for him, and he doesn't like that. We make him take turns, we make him wait, and we make him share. Most of all, we don't always say "yes" to whatever he wants. And if we are having dessert after dinner, he doesn't get it if he doesn't eat. That's been a tough one for him... watching the older siblings get dessert and he gets nothing.
He actually got in really big trouble last Friday at school. I was so upset about it. My kids have a reputation for their good behavior at school. Don't get me wrong, they give me plenty of crap at home, but they behave at school. I've never had to deal with discipline issues at school with any of them. So, Friday night, we made a behavior chart. For one week, he has to be good. Not perfect, but overall, good, with minimal tantrums. If at the end of the day, I determine that he was good, he will get a sticker. Once he gets all seven stickers I will take him to Target for a small toy.
So, already he has earned two stickers. He has been close to losing them, but once he gets started into a fit we've reminded him that if he can't calm down quickly, he will lose his sticker for the day. It's been hard for him to calm himself down, but he's been doing it. I am hoping that each day will get a bit easier for him to stay calm and happy.
Of course, I anticipate a full meltdown in the store once he earns his toy becuase he NEVER wants something that is within the allowed budget. But, I will keep my fingers crossed that he can keep it together. But so far, the "sticker" threat works better than the "santa won't visit you if you are naughty threat". Who would have guessed that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so looking forward to coming this weekend!
Oh, by the way, should we bring earplugs?

Lexie & Sharrid said...

Good for you! We're working on the same kinds of things over here...

Sheri said...

I'm totally going to try that with Max. He is my Dr. Jeckyll/Mr. Hyde.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails