Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Great Toe Fracture of 2010


This is very old news... but Ian fractured his toe 3 weeks ago. During the closing ceremonies of the Olympics he was walking around the coffee table and caught his pinkie toe on the corner. He cried and cried and cried. The next morning it was still hurting. I gave him some Tylenol and sent him off to school. The third morning it was hurting even worse than it did the second day, so I decided to run him to an urgent care clinic and get it checked. The x-ray showed that it might be fractured, but it was too early to tell. So they instructed us to "buddy tape" it and treat it as if it was broken. If it was still hurting in one week, to go back and get it checked again. Here is the ritual we went through every morning.

One week later it was still very tender to the touch, so I took him back in for more x-rays. And sure enough, it was fractured... the above diagram shows where the fracture is... yellow are the bones and growth plates, the red is where the injury is.
It's now been three weeks and it's feeling great. He needs to be very careful with his foot for one more week, get one more follow up x-ray and then all should be back to normal! Just in time to go back to school after spring break. Whew!
I am afraid of jinxing myself when I tell you this, but this is our first "broken" bone in the family. I've been a mom for 15 years and none of my kids have ever broken a bone. Crazy, huh? Knocking on wood now, just in case...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails