Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Maui: Day Four

On Saturday, we finally hit the beach by the condo.  It's about 50 yards from the parking lot to the beach access walkway.  Napili Bay offers some really great snorkeling and is a known turtle hang out if you know where to look... and trust me, we know where to look! 



This is a trigger fish, commonly known as the state fish in HI.  It's name is long and fun to say:  humuhumunukunukuapuaa, (it's pronounced HOO-moo-HOO-moo-NOO-koo-NOO-koo-AH-poo-AH-ah-ha).  If you've ever watched the LDS spoof movie called "The R.M."... listen closely when Jared's mom introduces the Tongan exchange student staying with them... it's his name!  And she manages the pronunciation quite well, I think!  One of these little dude nibbled on my dad before we got there... they have a rep for being somewhat aggressive to the snorkelers.


Check out this turtle hiding under a rock...  we got really lucky on the turtle sightings that day!


I became slightly obsessed with the Plumeria trees while we were there.  I think they are my new favorite flower.  I didn't think anything would ever dethrone my favorite, the tulip, but I will have to settle for photos until I can go back again, since you can't just get these anywhere!

All the different hibiscus varieties never ceased to amaze me.  There was a new color every time I turned around!

I'm going out on a limb here... I'm no plant expert... but I think these are orchids and they were beautiful!

This picture was taken while driving back to the condo after dinner.  I had the wrong lens on my camera to capture it in full, but it was a full rainbow, which became a full double rainbow for just a few seconds... it was beautiful.  We saw rainbows almost every day... it rained on us a little at some point every day, even though the grass on the side of the road looks dead.  A sales clerk in one store I frequented (literally... went back multiple times) told us that they've had the driest winter in Western Maui in many years.  They are really worried about fires this summer.  Weird thought, huh?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails