This post is purely for my own benefit down the road… I want to clean up my side bar and start a book list for 2011, so I’m posting this list in case I need to refer back to it. As far as I have kept track, I’ve read 35 books this year (aside from the JF books I read with my kids…) I’m sure I’ve missed a book or two, since I’m not super organized in keeping up with my sidebar list. My goal for 2011 is to read 40 books. I started reading “The Chase” by Clive Cussler last month, but didn’t finish it until this month, so I’ll put it on my 2011 list. I need some suggestions to take to my Book Club planning session next week, so send all your book suggestions my way!
- Wicked Appetite - J. Evanovich (B+, fun fantasy cross-over)
- Snowflower and the Secret Fan - L. See (B, amazing story about Chinese women and their bound feet)
- Memoirs of a Geisha - A. Golden (A, best fictional memoir I have read in a long time… when I was done, I couldn’t believe the main character was made up)
- ChiRunning - D. Dreyer (A, great tips on running technique, exercise)
- Secrets of a Lady - T. Grant (B, enjoyable mix of Sherlock Holmes and Jane Austen)
- The Chamber - J. Grisham (B+, well written, make-you-think book, despite the heavy and somewhat depressing subject matter)
- Mockingjay - S. Collins (C-, total disappointment, didn’t like character development in this one)
- Artemis Fowl: The Altlantis Complex - E. Colfer (C, disappointing, anti-climatic ending)
- Empire - O. Card (A, excellent political thriller that makes you think)
- The Double Comfort Safari Club - A. Smith (B, fun, easy Detective read)
- Rain of Gold - V. Villasenor (didn’t finish… had a hard time sticking with the story)
- The Overton Window - G. Beck (B, interesting political thriller)
- The Last Olympian (PJ#5) - R. Riordan (A, great way to end the Percy Jackson series)
- The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie - A. Bradley (B+, fun detective story about a brainiac girl in Britain)
- The Battle of the Labrinth (PJ#4) - R. Riordan (B+, great story, despite the cliff-hanger ending)
- The Glass Castle - J. Walls (A, best memoir that proves you can be a normal adult despite your upbringing)
- Prayers for Sale - S. Dallas (B, nice, easy read about women, relationships, and quilts)
- Love Walked In - M. de los Santos (B+, loved this story about finding happiness in the least expected places)
- Belong to Me - M. de los Santos (B+, sequel to Love Walked In, just as good as the first)
- The Help - K. Stockett (A, amazing tale about women in Mississippi during the 1960’s)
- City of Glass - C. Clare (A-, 3rd book in the Mortal Instruments)
- Fablehaven: The Grip of the Shadow Plague – B. Mull (B, good storytelling, even though it’s clearly a middle filler book)
- Dragon Rider - C. Funke (A, great JF read about dragons, etc.)
- Specials - S. Westerfeld (C, disappointing 3rd book in the Uglies series)
- The Great Gatsby - S. Fitzgerald (A, classic and timeless story)
- The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson #3) - R. Riordan (B-, my least favorite of the PJ series)
- Bravo Valentina - A. Trigiani (B+, I love this series about Italians, food and shoes!)
- City of Ashes - C. Clare (B+, second in MI series, love all the extra characters they pull in)
- Pretties - S. Westerfeld (B, interesting sequel to Uglies, but clearly a filler book)
- City of Bones - C. Clare (A-, awesome new story about shadowhunters, vamps, werewolves, etc.)
- Uglies - S. Westerfeld (A, amazing story about what would happen in society if everyone was drop dead gorgeous)
- The Actor and the Housewife - S. Hale (A, pushed every boundary of appropriate mormon-girl behavior, and kept me riveted throughout)
- Very Valentine - A. Trigiani (A-, great story about Italians, food, shoes and love)
- Shades of Grey - J. Fforde (A-, interesting story about a futuristic utopian society where everyone is color coded)
- Breaking Dawn - S. Meyer (B+, the ending to the Twilight saga is better the second time around)
1 comment:
So glad you did this post! Very helpful! You know, I was so disappointed with Mockingjay that I haven't read much since then. Sad. I need something not fluffy, but not going to make me cry either. Hmmmm....
Post a Comment