April Edition
The Wrecker by Clive Cussler
This is the second book in the Isaac Bell series. I enjoyed this book but not as much as the first in the series (The Chase.) Perhaps because the first book dealt a lot with trains and this book again was ALL about trains. Perhaps because there were similar plot patterns to this one as the first. However, I still enjoyed it. And I’m looking forward to the next book in the series, as it should avoid trains completely. (I think the next one is about submarines.) Still, the historical content is well researched and fascinating to listen to. I love the characters Isaac Bell, Marian Morgan, Archie Abbott and the new kid James Dashwood (nickname: Dash.) This isn’t the type of book I would pick for a book club or a deep discussion, but it’s great escapist fiction to help me get through a day filled with laundry, dishes and other mundane tasks. I can’t wait for Isaac Bell’s next adventure!
This was our April Book Club pick. I’ve read several Jane Austen books, but I honestly didn’t remember if I’d read this one. I remember reading P&P and I remember S&S and I also recently read Northanger Abbey, but since I’ve seen the DVD version of Persuasion so many times, I couldn’t specifically remember if I’d ever read the book. It was excellent. The characters were so well described and I loved this story. Is there a a bad thing you can say about a Jane Austen story? I don’t think so.
The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
This is the second book in the Maze Runner series. It’s good. Some questions get answered, some get more confusing. This series reminds me a bit of the TV show Lost. Not that they have the same premise, but that they do the same job of teasing me along… lots of mysteries, and just a few answers here and there. And quite honestly, most of the answers we’ve gotten so far, we can’t really trust to be the truth. My only complaint about this book is that it’s a classic “filler” book in a 3 book series. I am always wowed when an author can make all 3 books in a planned series be stand alone reads. This book was good, and it left me hanging on the edge of my seat waiting for the final installment. At least it’s not a long wait. The Death Cure will be released on October 11th!
No comments:
Post a Comment