Thursday, May 1, 2008

Wow... this is Amazing!

So, Wednesday we finally learned how to pressure can meat! Our RS pres, graciously let us invade her kitchen on Wednesday and do a pressure canning session at her house while we had our weekly meeting! We did ground beef. I'm not going to post step by step instructions here, but this is the pressure canner we used, and all good pressure canners come with very detailed instructions. I will say how we prepped the meat... that's the only thing you might not get in the instructions... we precooked the ground beef (using fresh high quality meat, on sale of course!), drained the fat and put it in the bottles with some liquid. I used beef broth, and Tammy used a mixture of tomato juice and water. I think either one works equally well! If you would like to read more on how to do this before making a sizable investment in a pressure canner, google "pressure canning ground beef". You should be able to find lots of websites that explain how to do it. Next week we are going to try roast beef. It's going to be great. I've already told Eric I want one of this for Mother's Day! I found a place to put my meat collection - above the fridge! Thanks Jill for teaching us how to do this - it was a blast!

3 comments:

Connie said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I actually think I can do this! I will ahve to get one of those pressure cooker things someday. Let me know how to do roast beef and chicken when you try it! Thanks! And good job!

Melissa said...

I am going to try this... I was going to go out and get a bunch of chicken last week when it was on sale, but then I forgot about it... nice, eh?

Anonymous said...

I don't want to gross you out too much, but when I saw your picture of the canned meat, it looked just like a bunch of maggots. I just imagined a big jar of sqirming maggots. MMMMHHHH! Tastey! Reminds me of the jars of rotting, smelly meat that Grandma W. use to have in her yard to create...I mean catch flies. I think the smell and site of those things prepared me for my job. Sorry for the imagery, but I couldn't resist.

Jon

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails