Monday, January 26, 2009

Menu Planning

In an effort to stay focused on Menu Planning, I've been working on a four week menu. I have four weeks of meals planned out and I'll just rotate through those 4 weeks. Wednesday is leftover/fix it yourself night because we have CubScouts and Mutual, which in just 4 weeks, will involve 3 kids and hubby. I've successfully made it through week one of my menu and have been working on the rest of the weeks trying to work out something good but practical. One night each month, I'm dedicating to trying a new recipe. It would be nice if I could do this more often, but I'm trying to be realistic. And I did repeat two meals in the month - tacos and pizza. Standby, easy favorites that everyone loves.

If you want to start menu planning, but just don't know where to start, here's a tip I learned from Flylady. Every night for one month write down on your calendar what you had for dinner. By the end of the month you will have a lengthy list of meals your family eats! Easy, huh?

I'm going to try to keep my current weeks menu posted on the sidebar... mostly just to keep me focused and on track! Let me know if you have any kid friendly meal suggestions... I can always use them! :)

6 comments:

OurHappyFamily said...

I have SO been wanting to do this but it's just a little overwhelming and honestly I just haven't known where to start. This post inspired me!!! Thanks! Wow... I'm so impressed!

Melissa said...

Have you ever done a taco ring? Take 2 cans of crescent rolls and lay then in a circle on a jelly roll pan with the wide ends of the triangles on the inside of the circle. Then brown your hamburger and season it with taco seasoning. Mix in some cheddar cheese and then spoon the meat mixture onto the crescent rolls. Pull the tip of the dough over the meat and tuck it under the wide end. Bake according to the instructions for the rolls (I think mine was 350 for 11-13 minutes). Then you garnish like you would regular tacos! They are yummy and fast and something a little different :)

jill said...

Great Idea...only one question. Can you include recipes???

Kayla, Nic, Paige, Ellie and Maddy said...

I just left this huge comment and it dissapered....I have been doing menu planning for a few years. I only do for 1 week at a time because nic get's paid once a week. I have been thinking of doing a 2 week menu to save a trip to the store. I printed out blank calender pages, and tape them into the inside of one of my kitchen cabinents, then just write down what we will eat on each day while im doing my grocery list. I save all the months to go back and get ideas, I also have somwhat of a master list in the same spot filled with about 40 different meals to choose from. Even with all that we usually cycle through the same 10 things! I am getting ready to do a post along the same lines today, mine has to do with grocery shoping and coupons....stop by, I could use a good comment if you have any ideas!Good luck!

Anonymous said...

FLy lady is really good. She is so good to share all sorts of ideas that work for anyone!

good luck on that menu, it really does cut down the grocery bill.

Sheri said...

We pretty much have the same dinners every week. Because Max and Ben are so darn picky!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails