Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My Collection

It's a well known fact that I have a lot of handmade Christmas decorations.  I have lately become obsessed with collecting handmade nativities.  The one in my blog header is made by Willow Tree, and it’s one of the few mass marketed nativities that I love, but here are the ones I have collected that can’t be bought at your local chain store.
This is the Baby Jesus for a Nativity set my grandma made for me.  She is the queen of felt, and she gave me the pieces for a nativity that go on my Christmas tree.  I usually try to get the nativity up first so I can group them all together, but this year I forgot to do that before the kids went crazy on the tree, so they are scattered, but they are all there.
DSC_0124_edited-1
This nativity I made at a Relief Society Craft night.  Michelle, I still love this one.  I’ve made many more like it to sell at craft fairs or give away as gifts. 
DSC_0127_edited-1

Eric got to go to Israel this summer for a conference.  I told him, I didn’t care what he brought home for the kids, but I wanted only one thing.  A Nativity set made in Jerusalem.  This is what he brought home.  This picture doesn’t do the detailed carving justice.  I love it!
DSC_0130_edited-1
This was a project we did this year for our Relief Society craft night.  The glass blocks have vinyl silhouettes on them of the nativity scenes and I put Christmas lights inside the blocks to backlight them.  I used a batting-like material to block the lights from being seen and diffuse the light in the blocks.  I am super happy about how they turned out!
DSC_0129_edited-1
Pretty soon I am going to be in full crazy mode trying to get everything done for Christmas before my parents come in less than two weeks.  Wowza!  But when I take a minute to sit and look at one of my nativities, I remember to slow down, breathe, and enjoy the celebration of the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  He is the reason for the season, after all.  Winking smile

6 comments:

Adam and Christine Jardine said...

I still do not own even one nativity set! Adam has a tiny one, about three inches tall and that is it. I love your home made ones! I may be bugging you about where you got your vinyl. . .

Julie and Mike Wood said...

Hey Christy, I love the glass block nativity. do you have a pattern or instructions for that one? I'd like to try and make one.. Love the collection

Craig said...

I love them! See you soon!

Michelle said...

Hey Christy! I love that little heart one too. I also have the willow tree, minus the stars. i will take a picture and post it on my blog. Its on the mantle and I put silent night, holy night in vinyl above it. it looks great!

Christy said...

The glass blocks nativity was cut out on a Cricut using the program Sure Cuts a Lot. If you or someone you know has both of those things, I can send you the files to be cut out. Just let me know!

Michelle said...

I want it!! Please please please!

thanks christy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails